Re: [OWL-S] Profile, textDescription

On Feb 26, 2004, at 6:01 AM, Danny Ayers wrote:

>> One small, but measurable, good we might do is to specify how to use
>> Dublin Core Metadata elements in OWL-S. This is cropping up in WSDL
>> (at
>> my instigation) to handle versioning of interfaces and files, so we
>> might as well thrash some out here.
>
> I'll decloak for a moment to say: yes, this is desirable but there are
> certain ambiguities in the use of DC that would need to be addressed -

I'm aware of this (and other) ambiguities. I'm unclear if they *need*
to be addressed, or rather, how :) dc:description seems pretty safe :)

> danbri has done a nice Wiki page on the topic at [1]. He's talking
> primarily
> about dc:creator, but it's likely that similar semantic vagueness
> occurs
> elsewhere in DC.
>
> [[
> It isn't clear whether dc:creator relates documents to people, or to
> their
> names.
>
> For historical reasons, DC has had a concern with 'dumbing down', to
> allow
> simple and complex metadata to co-exist.
> ]]

I don't think it's dumbdown that causes *this* problem. It's more
likely to stem either from the various multiple formats (HTML, XML) and
a focus on cataloging rather than kr.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.