Re: Web Services versus Semantic Web Services

Stephane Fellah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very pleased to see that this mailing list is (at last) created
> within W3C !
>
> I truly believe that web services (real) interoperability can only be
> reached only if web services are described semantically.
> The current trend in web services arena defines the web services using
> different standards based on XML schemas (UDDI, ebXML,WSDL, SOAP,
> SAML,XXX,XXXX...).
> IMHO, the huge number of XML schemas to deal with, makes the integration
> of exiting web services very hard, costly, very brittle and hard to
> evolve.
> I favor a more loosy coupled architecture, based on a minimal design,
> that is not based on structure and syntax (such as XML Schema) but
> rather on semantic information exchange (RDF/OWL).
> I wish to see in the future more focus on systematic mapping of the
> different standards such as WDSL, BPEL to RDF/OWL.
>
> I see two important aspect that needs to be standardized:
>
> - A core ontology for describing Web Services (such as DAML-S)
> - A standard ( universal ?) semantic query language based on RDF
> (support of graph pattern/ filter/ rules / bindings).
>
> I have not seen so much activity on DAML-S recently ?

Thanks for mentioning DAML-S :-).  Actually, the DAML-S Coalition is
still very active.  We have recently finalized our OWL ontology files
for a new release (OWL-S 1.0), and are updating examples and
documentation, prior to making an announcement of the release.  We also
have a 6-month plan for 3 incremental releases to resolve the top
priorities amongst our remaining issues.

We are still using the www-ws list for our public discussions.
Unfortunately, in the past we've had a tendency to conduct most of our
technical discussions on our private list, but we are working hard to
get away from that.  I expect you'll see quite a lot of traffic
regarding OWL-S on www-ws in the coming weeks and months.

Will W3C try to
> standardize DAML-S (OWL-S??)

The OWL-S community is very interested in seeing this happen.

Best regards,
David Martin