Re: "ActivityPub and Webfinger" CG Note, First Draft

I agree it does seem straightforward to just pass the URL for the domain
name to WebFinger. I don't think that is redundant, because an actor ID
might still be a unique, longer URL than just the domain name.

In other words, you might have:

Fediverse handle: @user.com
WebFinger: resource=https://user.com
Actor: https://user.com/activitypub

This is convenient because it moves the content-negotiation pieces away
from the user's home page, which might be a blog or something not
entirely ActivityPub-powered.

That still leaves what to do about "preferredUsername". Should it be
blank? Should it be "_" as Nostr uses? Should it be the domain name
itself, similar to how Bridgy Fed uses @user.com@user.com fediverse
handles?

— Manton