Re: "ActivityPub and Webfinger" CG Note, First Draft

Let’s keep in mind what the acct: is for in WebFinger. It’s for representing the account of a user on a site, such as alice@example.com.

When used with an AP “Follow”, clearly it means: I want to follow the activities of Alice on example.com and not the activities of Bob on example.com

Where these semantics don’t work is:

* I want to follow everything that happens on example.com, regardless of who performed the activity.
* The site has no visible concept of an account for some person who does something, so there’s no account to follow.
* I want to follow something that is not all of the site, but not scoped by account but by some kind of subject. E.g. I want to hear about posts that deal with knitting but not crocheting regardless who wrote them.

Seem to be we have two choices:

1. Shoehorn the “all” and “some subject” cases above into the idea of an account, even when there is no account, so everything can be foo@example.com. This is merely ugly in case of example.com@example.com, but practically impossible for complex subjects. What about “I want to follow all middle eastern news on CNN.com if it involves a ship over 1000 tons”? (Not something we do in the Fediverse these days, but if we ever want the entire web to be social, rather than just have some separate decentralized social media applications, essential I would argue. And I’d love to be able to follow subjects like this even today. Why not follow https://example.com/news/middle-east?query=ship-tonnage%3E100t ?)

2. Don’t shoehorn. URLs are perfectly fine as identifiers. Get existing software to broaden their horizons and support more use cases than copying legacy social only.

Now shoot :-)

Cheers,

Johannes.