Re: CFC: a policy for calls for consensus on SWICG group decisions

-1

Thanks for doing this, Ben. In general, I like it, but I have some
details I’d like to see tightened up before I can support it.

  * It should be made clear that only members of the SocialCG should be
    involved in decision-making processes. The passive language like “if
    no sustained objections are raised” makes it sound like non-members
    could object.
  * Objections or agreement should be clearly labelled as such, with
    +1/0/-1 voting. Questions or observations are not objections.
  * Splitting the conversation across different communications forms
    would make for a lot of missed messages and duplication. Instead, we
    should keep any discussions requiring consensus here, on the email
    list. Off-list discussions are fine, of course, but it’s not a
    “real" objection/agreement unless it happens here.
  * The Chairs should have the final decision if consensus has been reached.
  * I like this SWIP process, which you created for this proposal. It’s
    reasonable, but I’d like to see it defined separately from the
    consensus proposal. I think it would be a great test of this
    consensus process!
  * To adopt this policy, I think we need to adopt it under the current
    rules, such as they are, which is by proposal and plus-voting in an
    in-person meeting. I think we have one planned for next Friday.

Thanks again,

Evan