Re: Split off ActivityPub CG or WG

pá 13. 10. 2023 v 16:15 odesílatel Pierre-Antoine Champin <
pierre-antoine@w3.org> napsal:

> On 13/10/2023 10:31, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

> út 10. 10. 2023 v 9:22 odesílatel Pierre-Antoine Champin <
> pierre-antoine@w3.org> napsal:
>
>> Dear all,
>> may be a middle ground would be to
>>
>> 1- keep the SocialWeb CG as one umbrella group with a wide scope, and
>> 2- create one (or several) more focused WGs
>>
>> This is, for example, what happens with the Credentials CG
>> <https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/>,
>> that has spun off the Verifiable Credentials
>> <https://www.w3.org/2017/vc/WG/> and the Decentralized Identifiers
>> <https://www.w3.org/2019/did-wg/> WGs.
>>
>> I also wanted to raise awareness about the notion of "maintenance WG":
>> a WG that is chartered to produce no new recommendation, but only to
>> maintain existing ones:
>> applying errata, making editorial and substantial improvements (but not
>> adding brand new features).
>>
>> Would it make sense to start by creating an Activity Pub Maintenance WG
>> for maintaining AS2 and AP?
>> Nothing would prevent this group from requesting a rechartering at some
>> point to start working on ActivityPub2,
>> whenever they and the CG find it is timely.
>>
>> Nothing would prevent, also, other WGs to emerge from the CG. The CG
>> would remain the place where the broad community incubates and exchange new
>> ideas. WGs, on the other hand, could focus on delivering specs.
>>

> Hi Pierre
>
> I thought about this for quite a bit more.  The question arises on how to
> define "maintenance".
>
> The term"maintenance group" is not explicitly mentioned in the W3C
> process, but we use this term to designate a group that has no new
> deliverable in its charter. Per the process, it means that all it can do is
> apply class 1 to class 3 changes [1] to those documents (anything but brand
> new features).
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/2023/Process-20230612/#correction-classes
>
> Note that this also include updating (or creating) a test suite for the
> spec.

This makes a lot of sense.  Changes of class 1-3 + test-suites.

The question is who determines what is class 1, 2 or 3.  A spec change
could be inadvertently put in the wrong bucket.

However, there is no workflow right now, which ensures that changes will
not inadvertently be put in the wrong bucket.

If an open source effort does this in parallel, then it's possible to
compare notes, and see how it compares with the test suites.

It will take a while for the test suite to have full coverage.  There's the
NLNet one and also evan's old one at as2.rocks.  Plus a few more.

Perhaps it's an idea to wait and see which test suite achieves the most
coverage in the next 6 months or so.

My slight question is what happens if test suites disagree?