Re: Split off ActivityPub CG or WG

On 13/10/2023 10:31, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> út 10. 10. 2023 v 9:22 odesílatel Pierre-Antoine Champin
> <pierre-antoine@w3.org> napsal:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     may be a middle ground would be to
>
>     1- keep the SocialWeb CG as one umbrella group with a wide scope, and
>     2- create one (or several) more focused WGs
>
>     This is, for example, what happens with the Credentials CG
>     <https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/>,
>     that has spun off the Verifiable Credentials
>     <https://www.w3.org/2017/vc/WG/> and the Decentralized Identifiers
>     <https://www.w3.org/2019/did-wg/> WGs.
>
>     I also wanted to raise awareness about the notion of "maintenance WG":
>     a WG that is chartered to produce no new recommendation, but only
>     to maintain existing ones:
>     applying errata, making editorial and substantial improvements
>     (but not adding brand new features).
>
>     Would it make sense to start by creating an Activity Pub
>     Maintenance WG for maintaining AS2 and AP?
>     Nothing would prevent this group from requesting a rechartering at
>     some point to start working on ActivityPub2,
>     whenever they and the CG find it is timely.
>
>     Nothing would prevent, also, other WGs to emerge from the CG. The
>     CG would remain the place where the broad community incubates and
>     exchange new ideas. WGs, on the other hand, could focus on
>     delivering specs.
>

> Hi Pierre
>
> I thought about this for quite a bit more.  The question arises on how
> to define "maintenance".

The term"maintenance group" is not explicitly mentioned in the W3C
process, but we use this term to designate a group that has no new
deliverable in its charter. Per the process, it means that all it can do
is apply class 1 to class 3 changes [1] to those documents (anything but
brand new features).

[1] https://www.w3.org/2023/Process-20230612/#correction-classes

Note that this also include updating (or creating) a test suite for the
spec.

   best