Re: Let's have a joint Solid CG and Social CG meeting

As some of you know, during the charter process, I proposed that the
Community Group expand to include outreach to, onboarding of, support for,
and social impact of people implementing solid (see
https://github.com/solid/process/pull/323#issuecomment-1623993979).
 Almost all responses to my proposal said - no these are matters for the
Solid Team.  I then proposed a similar effort to be carried out by the
Solid Team, see
https://github.com/solid/team/pull/39#issuecomment-1695990124.  I have been
exploring funding options and hope to have resources to carry out this
effort but will work on it in conjunction with the Team and anyone who
wants to join regardless.

It would certainly benefit the wider Solid Community to have a regular
discussion/networking opportunity for developers, implementers and
practitioners.  But this will be insufficient unless those discussions are
carried out in conjunction with a coordinated outreach program
concentrating on diversity, training support such as hackathons, mentoring
programs, publicity and awareness campaigns, campaigns for adoption of
Solid.

If the Community Group wants to take on all of those outreach and support
functions as part of its scope and is willing to revise its charter to
reflect that,  great!  I will then enthusiastically support a social
gathering for the CG.  If, however, the CG is not willing to take on the
role of growing and supporting the wider community, then I urge everyone
who is interested in these efforts to join me on one of the Team task
forces.  I will be starting up a regular discussion meeting for Solid
Practitioners/Implementers which will have as its scope, those wider
outreach and support functions.  To have a second regular discussion in the
CG for the same audience but without the wider scope strikes me as divisive
of our efforts and confusing to the community.

--
Jeff Zucker