Re: Six Months In: Thoughts On The Current Post-Twitter Diaspora Options

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 5:41 PM Johannes Ernst <johannes.ernst@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Does anybody have any idea what Bluesky’s business model is intended to
> be? “It’s all free” for consumer software has historically not lead to good
> places.
>

> I’m always very queasy when I don’t understand a company’s business model
> up-front, even if it is a public benefit corp.

Agreed! They haven't announced anything, but they've hinted at running some
of the options for global services, eg search, moderation, feed ranking,
etc, and charging for those. Fortunately they're a small team, and have
much of their initial $13M left in the bank, so they have time.

https://blueskyweb.xyz/blog/5-5-2023-federation-architecture
https://snarfed.org/bluesky-corporate-ownership-and-structure#revenue

--
https://snarfed.org/