Re: Thinking about Webfinger

ne 7. 5. 2023 v 1:43 odesílatel Bob Wyman <bob@wyman.us> napsal:

> Melvin wrote:
>
>> in theory you could look up an http url with webfinger, this question did
>> actually come up during the discussions. But of course you'd never do
>> that, because http has its own tooling curl, the browser, xhr etc
>

> Looking up HTTP URLs with WebFinger not only came up in discussions, it is
> the second example given in the RFC!: (See "3.2.  Getting Author and
> Copyright Information for a Web Page")
>
>>    GET /.well-known/webfinger?
>>           resource=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.example.com%2Farticle%2Fid%2F314
>>           HTTP/1.1
>>      Host: blog.example.com
>
> The example response JRD includes data about copyright, etc. and I assume
> it could also provide stuff like public keys, links to did documents, etc.

Webfinger does have an example of how to get JSON data from an HTTP URI.
However, a great deal of the W3C web stack is all about getting JSON data
from an HTTP URI.  Indeed, that's exactly what powers the fediverse.

http://scripting.com/manifesto/rulesforstandardsmakers.html

Dave Winer's presentation argues persuasively that doing the same thing in
two different ways should be avoided in standards.  Webfinger's HTTP lookup
is a good example of that.  Indeed, although webfinger is not part of
ActivityPub it is still around, where having one JSON format for the whole
ecosystem would be simpler.