Re: Meta and ActivityPub

On Fri, 10 Mar 2023 at 04:51, Johannes Ernst <johannes.ernst@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hell is freezing over. Meta - That META! -- is said to build a social app
> that supports ActivityPub.

> * https://www.platformer.news/p/meta-is-building-a-decentralized
>
> *
> https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/startup/meta-mulls-a-twitter-competitor-codenamed-p92-that-will-be-interoperable-with-mastodon-10223961.html
>

> Tied into Instagram.
>

> The ramifications of that constitute the next 6 months of homework for the
> reader.
>

> Best, if at all possible,

Homework, leads ...

Will Meta/FarceBook/Instagram play nice with the
ActivityPub/ActivityStreams fediverse ? Or will they just get blocked by
the free (as in freedom) servers through pushing their own capitalistic ad
revenue based model ?

We only have to remember how they treat their staff and their users, I have
so many numerous instances of them ignoring people who had lost their old
email accounts and unable to get their accounts back and being totally
ignored by FarceBook, groups who lost their admins through takeovers or
single admins losing their accounts and groups or just disappearing, and
FarceBook just ignoring the group users requests for support.

Then there is their so called community standards and automated koshing of
users with random bans for random periods of time. This is a totally random
process based on a users karma score, the automated algorithm and third
party cheap workers from abroad who dont necessarily understand the
complexities of the ENglish or other language or the full context to
comments or issues.

Then theres the Instagram whistleblower Frances Haugen testimony to do with
her treatment on revealing that young girls self estieme and mental health
problems with suicides. Due to the algorithm pushing unattainable standards.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/6/22712927/facebook-instagram-teen-mental-health-research
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Facebook+whistleblower+Frances+Haugen+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZEkeTjTRY - full testimony video

Then their failing MetaVerse has ended up being an unmanageable sexual
harassment zone.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/12/16/1042516/the-metaverse-has-a-groping-problem/
https://www.businessinsider.com/researcher-claims-her-avatar-was-raped-on-metas-metaverse-platform-2022-5?r=US&IR=T
https://www.eko.org/images/Metaverse_report_May_2022.pdf
https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/rape-metaverse-woman-oculus-facebook-b2090491.html

Several high profile programmers who I respect have worked for them too and
have not been treated very well at all just being discarded after doing
what was required, despite one of them being given a promise to work on
compiler technologies after doing the optimization work on Hack.

They consistently have bugs in their user interface which is 16 year old
technology and has not really changed much in all that time apart from
getting worse for users, removing useful features that were not used by all
but were not giving them scrolls and ad revenue.

FarceBook or the Rebranded "Meta.com" are not really to be trusted at all.
This is just another grab last at user screen time for pushing for more ad
revenue. By the way they carry adverts that are cons and do not check them
or remove them when complaints are made.

They have repeatedly enforced their walled garden and prevented interop
with third party social networks even trying to crush them through API
restrictions. Any app that detracts from their ad revenues will be
stomped on.

https://venturebeat.com/social/facebooks-alleged-use-of-apis-to-crush-competition-is-a-warning-to-other-data-companies/
https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/04/facebook-instagram-api-shut-down/?guccounter=1

I needed to get all my information off of FarceBook both timeline and
groups to with climate change for doing a engine crawler and search engine.
It is next to impossible to get and in a form that is useful.

All your information belongs to them and they are not going to play nice.

If you are a fediverse server please read all of the above and take it as a
strong warning.

Regards,

Aaron
--
Aaron Gray

Independent Open Source Software Engineer, Computer Language Researcher,
Information Theorist, and Computer Scientist. (P.S. I have no letters after
my name)