Re: Reconciling theory and in practice -- do the specs need updating?

> On Mar 6, 2023, at 07:55, Aaron Gray <aaronngray@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As I say this is only a problem if you are programming on an instance level with hand coded code. If you work at a meta level then all you need is for clients to provide their @context properly and provide an @context on fingering or in /.well-known/ then this is not an issue for meta level systems. Most protocol extensions can be automated even at the UI end of the problem or prompt for meta-admin assistance to appropriate mappings.

I’m not understanding what you mean by “meta level systems”. Do you mean software that can process any extension because it essentially extends its type system when it encounters new stuff? (e.g. by downloading new @context resources etc)

If so, then sure, but it only helps on the lower levels of the application stack, like with networking and storage. It does not help you towards creating a good, (consumer-grade, not geek-grade) UI, which almost certainly requires “hand coded” elements, otherwise all you get is the equivalent of property sheets. How should it know that extension should offer to take a photo, while the other should offer to insert GPS data — to pick some random examples?

Best,

Johannes Ernst
Blog: https://reb00ted.org/
FediForum: https://fediforum.org/