Re: Reconciling theory and in practice -- do the specs need updating?

On 3/3/23 08:55, Marcus Rohrmoser wrote:

>> There's nothing that needs to be changed about the specs,
>
> with due respect, I have to object. AP et al. see itself as 'living
> standards' which implies dynamics. But however it isn't capable purging
> almost from day 1 deserted references and domains (e.g. test suite).

Yes, the test suite should be the first thing to focus on. First,
because it would relieve developers from interpreting the spec where
good tests are available ; second, because once you have a test suite,
any modification to the specs will have to pass the tests first, or
redefine some test.

The FEP process is supposed to be a way to modify the core
specifications. Once we have a working test suite, we can test all
implementations against it and bring each project to compliance. Then we
can think of moving other bricks.

The test suite is written in Guile scheme, which nobody since its first
release tried to review or convert. Some people proposed to work on it,
but it was not followed up so far.

See https://socialhub.activitypub.rocks/t/the-activitypub-test-suite/290

The closest thing to a test suite would be dansup's FediDB test suite.

Note that the NGI Zero consortium would happily fund an ActivityPub test
suite if that would help the community.

==
hk