Re: Migration <> Key-based Interop (formerly a propos of the weekly issue triage update)

so 15. 7. 2023 v 13:39 odesílatel Bumblefudge von CASA <
virtualofficehours@gmail.com> napsal:

> I'm sorry, I love you Melvin, and I love Nostr, but "unscrupulous DID
> methods" is scare-mongering and guilt-by-association. DID methods can't
> have scruples, they are URI schemes for future-proofing and locking-open
> PKI publication mechanisms. In the best of cases, they make key material
> for a given account recoverable long after the heat-death of all companies
> and co-ops involved.  Blanket aspersions on anything that touches a
> blockchain or anything that touches a cryptocurrency are unhelpful and
> making them toes the line of W3C's code of conduct, particularly since
> there are people subscribed to this list who have paid their rent with
> cryptocurrencies at some point in their lives and such aspersions
> indirectly insult them and the time they volunteer to this community.

To clarify, I don't view all chains of the DID method registry in a
negative light. Indeed, certain methods do not involve a chain at all.
However, I do maintain that there are some crypto chains that behave
unethically, thereby casting a shadow on the whole endeavor. I played a
role in initiating the DID work by translating cryptographic primitives to
linked data for the first time, so its current state is slightly
underwhelming.  But if you add one DID method, it's like adding them all.
Because it's not one spec it's more like 170, as listed in the DID method
registry.

It's noteworthy that various chains listed in the DID method registry have
been classified as illegal by the U.S. Government. The lack of concern
shown by the DID group over this fact, coupled with their refusal to
reluctance such chains, is IMHO concerning.

In my opinion, this clip beneath succinctly captures the type of legal and
ethical boundaries being overstepped, too often:
https://twitter.com/VandelayBTC/status/1493310858147123201

Legal safeguards exist to shield end-users from the inherent conflicts of
interest that arise from undisclosed and unregulated token sales to an
uninformed public. A similar level of awareness and protection is necessary
within our standards as well.

Decorum aside, I have spent the last 5 years wrangling with the