Re: Issue triage today

čt 13. 7. 2023 v 0:41 odesílatel Evan Prodromou <evan@prodromou.name>
napsal:

> Yes, great idea.
>
> I think the current plan is to document the behaviour of Mastodon in this
> area, as step one, with a Note or FEP.
>
> We'd probably need to then discuss problems with the Mastodon technique,
> namely:
>
> 1. If the origin server goes offline, there's no way to move the account.
> 2. Similarly if the account is defederated.
> 3. All activities and content stay at the origin server, which keeps their
> URLs active, but doesn't help if the server goes down.

An area where JSON-LD shines is to download content and merge or move it to
another place.  It was designed for that use case.

It does require cooperative servers though.  How do we figure out which
servers cooperate though?  Shutting down of a server can be partially
mitigated by incrementally archiving data too.

It's also the case that the structure of the profile and data can be in
some cases strongly tied to the server, and in other cases loosely tied.
More flexible profile examples could help instances that regularly move
users.