Re: Meta Unspools Threads

pá 7. 7. 2023 v 2:47 odesílatel Bob Wyman <bob@wyman.us> napsal:

> Melvin,
> I don't quite understand what you mean when you say:
>
>> They've divided the friendship graph and the activity protocol, unlike
>> ActivityPub's combined approach
>

> Can you elaborate a bit? Please forgive me if I'm being dense.

Threads leverages their existing Facebook/Instagram graph, which is
essentially a standalone friendship graph. The app can be built on top of
this, but with the activity part to be rolled out separately.  (how, we
dont know yet)

If, the activity component (ie an AP implementation) is also standalone,
that creates modular, clean separation. This approach mirrors Solid, which
maintains a social graph with ActivityPub to be layered on top.
ActivityPub merges activities, and profiles, into single specification,
leading to high coupling. However, as Meta possesses its own identity
system and plans to attach an activity system, this separation could
significantly enhance interoperability of protocols.

An open socal web that allows different identity systems to talk to each
other, but also is able to send activities from one system to another would
be a big innovation for the social web because it would allow heterogeneous
systems to interoperate without requiring, hard-to-manage bridges.

tl;dr decoupling identity and activity would open many new doors