Re: Congratulations!

I agree with hellekin. "Embrace, extend, extinguish" isn't an insult,
it's a pithy description of well-known strategy for corporations to try
to exploit open standards. What (if anything) the group developing the
standards can do to reduce the risks of this happening to ActivityPub --
whether or not it's what Meta's intentionally trying to do here -- is a
valid topic for a community group that's developing standards.

Also, even if it's not Meta's intent, it's still a potential outcome; in
Embrace, Extend, and Exploit: Meta’s plan for ActivityPub, Mastodon and
the fediverse
<https://privacy.thenexus.today/embrace-extend-and-exploit/> I talk
about how Mastodon EEE'ed OStatus even though they didn't start out
trying to do that. As you can tell from the title, I don't think Meta's
trying to EEE ... but others do, and it's still a risk even if it's not
their goal, so it's not insulting the integrity of anybody working on
the standards to say that they should discusswhat (if anything) to do in
light of the concerns and risk.

jon