Re: A native internet protocol for social media

ne 16. 4. 2023 v 23:48 odesílatel Bob Wyman <bob@wyman.us> napsal:

> Melvin wrote:
>
>> The challenge lies in creating a protocol that is interoperable,
>> scalable, and allows users to have full ownership of their conversations.
>
> It seems to me that we've previously developed architectural patterns that
> address this need, at least we did for blogging. The key for blogging was
> to use PubSubHubbub, now W3C WebSub <https://www.w3.org/TR/websub/>, as a
> centralized means for accessing decentralized blog resources. The
> authoritative source for a blog entry is the blog, or feed, to which it is
> initially published, however, a blog entry can be accessed by many
> subscribers, using WebSub's publish & subscribe protocol, without actually
> accessing its home feed. WebSub allows blogs to be maintained without
> subjecting potentially small blog hosts to the excessive content polling
> and crawling that scales as the community of blog readers grows. A similar
> architecture, which supports decentralized publishing but more centralized,
> or federated distribution, could be one way to achieve a useful compromise
> between content ownership and scalability.
>
> A variant of WebSub, designed to provide publish/subscribe
> for ActivityStreams, including ActivityPub, could be defined and
> implemented. Would such a system address the balance you seek?

Pub/Sub is indeed a valuable technology. However, in today's context, one
might consider utilizing websockets to some extent as an alternative. A
solution resembling an open Firebase, which is in harmony with web
architecture, could prove to be quite beneficial.