Re: A native internet protocol for social media

st 12. 4. 2023 v 13:21 odesílatel hellekin <how@zoethical.com> napsal:

> [...]
>
> >> The problem today is that we have companies who own both the protocol
> >> and discovery of content.
>
> Here we go again. Dorsey is not unfamiliar to free software. Yet, he
> argues that the (about 15) existing free and open protocols for social
> media today are irrelevant to his declaration. He takes for granted that
> there should be one global public conversation --- no, thank you.
> Fragmentation of the public space is pretty much a feature, as it is one
> guarantee that no SPOF will appear.
>
> Now,the rest I cannot see with a kind eye, because of the previous
> divergence...
>
> >> Many of you won’t trust this solution just because it’s me stating it.
>
> No, it does not matter who states it, it matter how it is stated, what
> it does say about your intentions. And your intentions are to make more
> business, more profit. It has nothing to do with the social, cooperative
> approach that make the core of social media based on free software,
> decentralized instances, and interoperable small islands in the Net.
> Jack Dorsey wants "phenomenal business" and he wants to tap into the
> "massive collection of conversation". This is hubris talking again.
>
> >> I do believe absolute transparency builds trust.
>
> I do believe selective opacity builds confidence. And I take the
> opportunity of Dorsey endorsing Wikileaks to quote Julian Assange:
> "Transparency for the state! Privacy for the rest of us!" --- I include
> corporations in the State, since at all levels, the lever of Growth is
> commanding spending public money to "create jobs" and so on (it took
> 3000 years for the theory of price to come back to the original
> Aristotle version that power makes price, not the so-called 'law of
> offer and demand').
>
> As far as I know, more knowledge does not always translate into more
> action. The Snowden Apocalypse, as I like to claim, was only the Snowden
> revelations, as the press got to call it, and many other massive leaks
> followed, and Dorsey's still wondering how to make money and claiming
> "there's nothing to hide... only a lot to learn from". One thing we
> could have learned from all those leaks is that things move slowly, way
> too slowly when the imbalance of power is threatening all life on Earth.
> Criminals remain in place, belligerent strategies remain the norm,
> "public" investment keeps engaging in warfare, while global private
> banking remains a stronghold of corruption and dangerous investment
> policies. More of the same.
>
> >> This is a focused and urgent push for a foundational core technology
> >> standard to make social media a native part of the internet.
>
> Oh, maybe something like GNUnet, RetroShare, Tor or I2P...
>
> "to make social media a native part of the Internet" is such an empty
> phrase. What do you mean by it Jack Dorsey? I may give you the benefit
> of the doubt, remembering that R. Buckminster Fuller wrote that
> "humanity invented all the right technologies for all the wrong

Hi Hellikin

I would like to share some positive experiences we've had with Jack
Dorsey's sponsorship of free software initiatives, including Nostr. Nostr's
collaboration with Jack has been successful and fruitful, resulting in
impressive growth.  Jack is a big supporter of free software, and has
donated millions of dollars to multiple projects.  With more to come.  I
think it is worth operating in good faith.

Since Jack Dorsey tweeted about Nostr and subsequently supported it through
a tumultuous time when it was banned (and later unbanned) by Twitter, it
has seen a significant increase in its user base. it went from 600 accounts
to 12 million in just five months. The first conference in Costa Rica was
also a success, with 400 attendees and Jack kindly offering to pay for the
venue and food.  Edward Snowden has also endorsed nostr, which has helped
it to grow.

Nostr is a grassroots project that has attracted over 1000 developers
working on hundreds of projects. It is seeing a new client or app being
created for Nostr every day.  Developers like it because it is a simple two
page spec that can be understood in an hour, and it is possible to build a
client or a server in a weekend.  Many have done exactly this.

It is built on web standards, namely http and websockets, which are widely
deployed.It also has a well-functioning bridge to the fediverse, and the
author of Pixelfed, is looking at adopting Nostr. There are also in talks
with the Kosmos/Unhosted team regarding integration, and also potentially
with Sockethub to provide network optimizations.

While Nostr may not be as mature as the fediverse, it is emerging as a
legitimate piece of the social web. This advantage lies in making it
difficult to entirely cancel people, which is all too easy on Twitter and
even doable on federated systems.

I believe that the social web CG can help all these projects work together.