Re: The term: "Mastodon" vs "fediverse" vs ...?

In this case, I'll say it does.

The "Social Web" is a decent enough term (with my non-proven, anecdotal experience on this) that people take it literally - being social on the Web. Thankfully, the term "the Web" is also still sticky enough (my sibling of 21 and his friends tend to either say "it's on the Web" or "google it" so there's not too much of a fight) to work.