Re: knowee - O'Reilly's requirements

Danny Ayers wrote:

> I just came across a blog post from Tim O'Reilly talking of a "Web 2.0
> Address Book", it sounds close to the contact organiser community
> project:
> [[
> an address book for my phone that remembers everyone I call, and
> everyone who calls me, and syncs with my email, which remembers every
> email I send and receive, and an IM client ditto -- and that uses
> Google-like heuristics to help me figure out who I want. And then uses
> P2P and various trust metrics to help me find people who are not in my
> immediate communication orbit
> ]]
> http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/02/social_network_1.html

Reminds me of BBDB (though I'm not an Emacs person)
[[
The main feature of BBDB is that it sits in the background and
``notices'' things about whatever messages you read (whether those
messages are mail or news.) A window displaying the address-book entry
corresponding to the sender of the current message is always on the
screen, unobtrusively. So as you are reading a message, any additional
annotations you have made (including ones which occurred automatically)
will be readily visible as well.

For example, BBDB can automatically keep track of what other topics the
sender has corresponded with you about; when you last read a message
from the sender; what mailing lists their messages came through; and any
other details or automatic annotations you care to add. It also does a
good job of noting when someone's email address has changed.

In practice, you never add an entry to your address book by hand; BBDB
does it for you. What you do is instruct BBDB when and how to annotate
things: ``when you see a message like this, annotate the sender like this.''

The insidious part of its name comes from the fact that it sits silently
by and watches everything that you do; and from the fact that, after a
while, most people find it so very useful that they are incapable of
tying their shoes without it. The big brother part of its name comes
from the fact that, eventually, it knows all. BBDB is offline memory. It
becomes part of your brain.
]] -- http://www.jwz.org/bbdb/

Dan