Re: Semantic Web Activity page use case

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'd like to raise an issue, namely what is communicated from the
> Semantic Web Activity page. The current opening statement is this:
>
> "The Semantic Web is a web of data. There is lots of data we all use
> every day, and its not part of the web. I can see my bank statements on
> the web, and my photographs, and I can see my appointments in a
> calendar. But can I see my photos in a calendar to see what I was doing
> when I took them? Can I see bank statement lines in a calendar?"
>
> As it looks now, I think these use cases will be realized using
> microformats, and that RDF will play a very minor role. I think there
> is a very real risk that developers will think that all Semantic Web
> uses cases can be satisfied with microformats and that the "complex,
> academic stuff" that we're doing is nothing but a unnecessary
> complication of something that can be done rather simply with
> microformats.
>
> We need simple use cases to start with, but not the ones that will most
> likely happen through other means. So, I think we have a problem here,
> and that this paragraph will have to be rewritten. I don't know what it
> should say, but I hope to start a debate.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kjetil

Kjetil,

The issue here is clarifying the various shapes and forms of RDF Data
Sources (Graphs):

1. Exported Physical Graphs  - as exemplified by RSS 1.1, SIOC, and
other RDF data syndication buttons you see across the Web of Hypertext
2. Embedded Physical Graphs - as exemplified by RDF/A, eRDF, and (X)HTML
microformats that have existing GRDDL based XSLT stylesheets
2. Virtual Graphs - those generated from a plethora of none RDF data
sources and exposed via Web Services and SPARQL Endpoints

(X)HTML Microformats are going to be transformed into RDF in a variety
of ways to produce either of the forms above. This is also the "sweet
spot" for GRDDL and Micromodels in general. I will demonstrate this
concept with SPARQL in the next day or so (i.e. using a (X)HTML page
containing Microformats as the Graph URI for my SPARQL Query). This is
something Danny Ayres has been seeking in a variety of recent blog posts
re. SPARQL, GRDDL, and XSLT as a mechanism for demonstrating the Data
Web in a simple but very powerful and relevant manner.

As for the paragraph in question, it is best it gets massaged into shape
via a Wiki style effort. Even better, why not look to the Wikipedia
article re. the Semantic Web [1] (Tim and I have touched this document
of late for instance, and it would be nice if others could contribute also).

Links:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web

--

Regards,