Re: Proposed PR Document set - URIs of HTML variants

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 06:42:00PM +0100, Sean Bechhofer wrote:
> There is one outstanding issue -- the explicit namespaces of:
>
> * SKOS Namespace Document HTML Variant
> * SKOS-XL Namespace Document HTML Variant
>
> which are cited in those documents. Once we have resolved these, I
> will freeze the bundle and tag the CVS.

Filling in the argument...

For these, I proposed the URIs:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos.html
    http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-xl.html

which currently already resolve to the same contents as:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-skos-reference-20090317/skos.html
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-skos-reference-20090317/skos-xl.html

(presumably by a redirect from "latest" to "this version"?).

If we support these URIs, I think we should also expose and
promote them by explicitly citing them in SKOS Reference and in
the headers of the namespace documents.  At any rate, just
saying that a document is "available via content negotiation on
the namespace URI http://...  with Accept headers set to HTML"
is not a good way to cite those documents, and it shouldn't be
necessary to dereference the namespace URI in order to get a
citable document URI.  I think these is what you are referring
to as the "explicit namespaces" of the HTML variants?

I note in passing that Appendix C says that SKOS Reference is
represented in several alternative "namespace documents" [2],
which I think is correct, whereas the SKOS version history page
[1] essentially implies there is one resource "SKOS namespace
document" which has the URI http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core
and is content-negotiable.  I think this may need to be
corrected.

Tom

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/history
[2] http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/SKOS/reference/20090315/Overview.html#namespace-documents