Re: [SKOS] "Mapping" vs "standard" relationships

Hi,

To me the most important point in Tom's argument was the "not consider herself qualified". So this can be at first sight related to provenance. But fundamentally, it's a matter of authority, though maybe not in the usual Semantic Web sense [1]
Actually I'd like to have SKOS send the message that the mapping links are just more dubious to re-use than the standard relationships. The latter are part of the *definition* of the concept and supposed to be usable by any application that will access the concept scheme, while the former are not.

Just have a look at the results of automatic mapping tools. Or even what is produced humans trying to build a mapping themselves, or fixing such an automatic mapping. My experience is that this is hugely error-prone. And our fate is that many mappings will be produced by automatic tools or by non-expert people [2]

So at some point I expect users will just want to know that something was said, which is reliable from a conceptual perspective. And that's essentially quite distinct from the problem of who said what. Antoine Isaac can publish nice SKOS conversion of existing validated schemes he got from his library, and crap mapping links he's just using for a demo.

Cheers,

Antoine

[1] And even if it was the case, I would be reluctant to say that SKOS should not deal with authority, as it should not deal with provenance. Unless you can point me to something that would solve the issue and that we could refer to as Dan does for SPARQL named graphs. That is, something that is established and already giving birth to credible applications or demos that we know of.
[2] Note that I don't say this is per se a problem, these mappings are clearly better than nothing, and in fact can be useful for many applications!