RE: [SKOS] SKOS-XL & label relations

Hi Quentin,

Yes, in a sense there is duplication. But XL gives you a convenient way to
make statements about the lexical entities used in a knowledge organisation
system, which vanilla SKOS doesn't. It also gives you a way to "dumb-down"
to vanilla SKOS, to get the simplified representation.

E.g. using SKOS+XL ...

<C1> rdf:type skos:Concept;
  xl:prefLabel <L1>;
  xl:altLabel <L2>;
  skos:inScheme <S>.

<L1> rdf:type xl:Label;
  xl:literalForm "animals"@en;
  skos:inScheme <S>;
  dc:source "Another thesaurus."@en.

<L2> rdf:type xl:Label;
  xl:literalForm "fauna"@en;
  skos:inScheme <S>;
  dc:source "Yet another thesaurus."@en.

... which can be "dumbed-down" via the XL data model to vanilla SKOS as ...

<C1> rdf:type skos:Concept;
  skos:prefLabel "animals"@en;
  skos:altLabel "fauna"@en;
  skos:inScheme <S>.

... does that make sense?

I suppose you could achieve the same goal without xl:prefLabel, xl:altLabel
and xl:hiddenLabel, e.g. ...

<C1> rdf:type skos:Concept;
  xl:prefLabel "animals"@en;
  xl:altLabel "fauna"@en;
  skos:inScheme <S>.

<L1> rdf:type xl:Label;
  xl:literalForm "animals"@en;
  skos:inScheme <S>;
  dc:source "Another thesaurus."@en.

<L2> rdf:type xl:Label;
  xl:literalForm "fauna"@en;
  skos:inScheme <S>;
  dc:source "Yet another thesaurus."@en.

... however the connection here between <C1> and <L1> is now much weaker,
via the literal "animals"@en. In fact, because two different instances of
xl:Label can have the same literal form, there is no definite connection
between <C1> and <L1> at all.

Cheers,

Alistair.

--