Re: [SKOS] Closing ISSUE-71 ParallelMappingVocabulary

On 19 Feb 2008, at 18:42, Antoine Isaac wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Trying to decompose issues, as Sean requested.
> I will actually not try to decompose the discussion in [1] because
> it is a whole about ISSUE-71 and ISSUE-74.
>
> Shortly, [1] tries to show that mapping relationships and standard
> (paradigmatic) relationships are different. They result from
> different activities, and are situated on a different level with
> respect to authority and concept scheme design.
>
> Assuming this understanding is correct, this I propose the
> following resolution for ISSUE-71:
>
> RESOLUTION: The vocabulary for mapping links is parallel to the
> vocabulary for (paradigmatic) semantic relationships. It includes a
> skos:broadMatch, skos:narrowMatch and skos:relatedMatch which
> mirror skos:broader, skos:narrower and skos:related.

Antoine

Thanks for the restatement -- this helped me in understanding the
situation. I support the proposed resolution and the use of a
parallel mapping vocabulary as stated above. I believe the somewhat
"weak" resolution to ISSUE-36, ConceptSchemeContainment (**) also
lends weight to the argument for the use of a parallel mapping
vocabulary. Without it, it may be unclear in certain situations
whether a relationship is intended to be a mapping or standard
(paradigmatic) relationship.

	Sean

** Note that the use of the term "weak" is not intended in a
pejorative sense here, or as a criticism of the resolution.

--
Sean Bechhofer
School of Computer Science