Re: Deprecated SKOS Vocabulary

Sean Bechhofer wrote:
> A related question here concerns the namespace of the SKOS
> vocabulary. I think there is an implicit assumption that we will
> continue to use the http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core namespace
> for the vocabulary.
> I see no strong argument for changing this (and arguments for not
> changing it -- for example to ensure that existing SKOS content and
> applications continue to work), but thought that it would be useful
> to at least have this explicitly stated.

I'm not so sure that this is a good idea;  the semantics of new SKOS
are not compatible with SKOS classic, so using a different URI is a
much better move.    Classic provided semantics that are aligned with
traditional Knowledge Organization/Information Retrieval semantics.
These semantics are defined in terms of sets of documents relevant to
a topic. [1]

New SKOS uses a different semantics.  These are currently not
rigorously defined, but appear to be defined over a domain of the
underlying objects which are being described.  Applications that rely
on the classic semantics must be changed - therefore, so must the URI.

I'm finishing up my paper for DC-2008, (which isa paper, but  is-
about )  LCSH, SKOS, and the semantics of Controlled vocabularies,
which explores some of the issues in the context of preparing the
LCSH for use with SKOS.

BTW, talking about DC, if there is a SKOS f2f in Washington next month
I'd really like to attend.  Can someone comp me :)?

Simon

[1] e.g. Soergel, Dagobert (1974). Indexing languages and thesauri:
construction and maintenance. Los Angeles: Melville Pub. Co. P. 632.
ISBN: 0471810479:

  "Concept A is broader than concept B whenever the following holds:
in any inclusive search for A all items dealing with B should be
found. Conversely B is narrower than A."  §C1.2, p 78.