Re: SKOS Applications

On 30 Oct 2007, at 13:20, Antoine Isaac wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> I find it very useful a beginning. I've not much to say expect
> perhaps that for me it is likely that the validator is also likely
> output some warnings, and not only valid/invalid statements. There
> are some semantic constraints that are more like guidelines than
> strict validity checks, aren't there?
>
> Antoine

For the definition of a checker, I used the OWL Syntax Checker
definition [1] as a starting point/inspiration. This gives a precise,
concise definition of a service/tool that we can then actually design
test cases for, and test mechanically.

I'd quite agree that a useful tool will provide more than just a
single word output :-). However, once we get into warnings, it
becomes a much bigger job to specify (and test) the behaviour. What
does it mean to issue a warning? How might those warnings be
represented? I suggest that that is outside the scope of this WG.

Again, referring back to the OWL experience, we built an OWL Ontology
Validator [1]. There is some basic functionality that performs the
syntax checking as described in the Recommendation, and that was used
to get through the candidate rec, but then a bunch of other stuff
that actually makes it useful.

	Sean

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-test/#checkerConformance
[2] http://www.mygrid.org.uk/OWL/Validator