RE: questions on SKOS

Hi Bill, Daniel,

I don't know if this helps, but on the question of what "broader" and "narrower" mean, if pressed for a formal definition, I always give a purely operational interpretation.

I explain what broader and narrower mean in terms of the reasonable operations of an information retrieval system which uses broader, narrower and other types of link between the units of an indexing language to improve search precision and/or recall.

There are in fact a number of different operational interpretations, all of which are reasonable to a first approximation.

Under the most naive interpretation, A skos:broader B means that, if some item X is relevant to a query for A, then it is also relevant to a query for B. In other words, if you query for B, and X has been "indexed" with A, then you can improve recall by including X in your result set, without loss of precision.

This is exactly the interpretation that e.g. blogging software like wordpress uses, when you click on some category, and you get all posts tagged with that category or any child category.

There are, of course, more fine-grained interpretations, which give each type of semantic relationship a different "weight", and take into account the "distance" between two concepts when calculating some estimate of relevance in an expanded search.

This was in fact the subject of my MSc dissertation last year: [1] http://purl.org/net/retrieval -- although I tried to construct a single, complete framework to cover all operational interpretations, which can be overly complex for the simpler cases (plus I had only just learnt to use formal notation at the time :)

You might also be interested to know that "graph-based reasoning", which is analogous to one or other of these operational interpretations I describe at [1], has been used in several software systems, see e.g. the Corese search engine from INRIA <http://www-sop.inria.fr/edelweiss/wiki/wakka.php?wiki=CoreseApplications>.

Cheers,

Alistair.

--
Alistair Miles