questions on SKOS

Hello everyone,

An interesting thread related to SKOS on another list. Bill Bug
posted some questions to which people on this list might want to respond.

Daniel

I may be taking too simple a view of this issue, but my sense is the
only part of SKOS that can be useful without creating an overly
complex graph of entailments that will require a lot of custom logic
are the annotation properties they put in the original SKOS OWL file.

Though we do eventually want to be able to trace provenance on a
declared synonymies, my sense is what we need NOW is a shared
annotation property used across all OBO ontologies for things like
"synonym", "abbreviation", "scope note", "history note",
"definition", "OBO definition" - just to avoid the babel of
home-grown annotation properties that will each necessitate creating
and maintain custom logic (or annotation property maps) in order to
process.  This is the simple objective I'd hoped SKOS would adopt
first, before leaping to the more complex objective of providing a
shared framework to support expressing logical entailments related to
"acts of speech".

Am I'm being too facile in thinking such a shared set of
lexically-oriented annotation properties - opaque to the DIG
reasoners - would be of use to OBI and the broader community.  Should
we not expect this to come from SKOS, and all simply use (or extend)
the annotation properties that come with OBOinOWL?

Cheers,
Bill