Re: [SKOS] ISSUE-33 "SimpleExtension" proposal (was RE: [SKOS] "Lexicalization" or "term"?)

> Miles, AJ (Alistair) wrote:
>> Hi Antoine,
>>
>> I just took a look at the latest revision of the "SimpleExtension"
>> proposal [1] for ISSUE-33. Interesting :)
>>
>> Under this proposal, is there a bijection [2] between the extension
>> of skos:Label and the set of RDF plain literals?
>>
>> In other words, is there only one skos:Label for every plain literal,
>> and vice versa?
>>
>> Or, under this proposal, is there only a surjection [3] between the
>> extension of skos:Label and the set of RDF plain literals
>>
>> In other words, is there only one plain literal for every skos:Label,
>> but one or more skos:Label for every plain literal?
>>
>> This is absolutely crucial to exploring the consequences of the
>> proposal. It is crucial because it bears on the conditions under
>> which it makes practical and logical sense to assert the identity of
>> two individuals of type skos:Label. This is the fundamental question
>> that all proposals following the "terms-as-classes" pattern must
>> address.
>
> Good point, should have made this clear. As skos:Label is just a
> support class for the literal, my initial reaction was that a liretal
> can only have one skos:Label attached to it  But this will not work in
> practice, as literals may be used as terms in several vocabularies.
> The only constraint that makes sense, I think, is to require that
> literals only have one lLabel within one particular ConceptScheme.
> Would this work?
>
> Guus
Hi Guus,

I really don't see why we would have for skos:Label a behaviour that
would not allow to 'map' them to RDF literal.
We can have a same literal used in two different concept schemes as a
label, let's say "bank" in an economy thesaurus and "bank" in a
geography thesaurus, we don't consider them to be different literals, do
we?
Of course that raises the problem of how to contextualize potential
relationship between labels. But as I tried to discuss it in [1] I think
it's better to contextualize the relationship statement than the labels
themselves.

Cheers,

Antoine

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0064.html