Re: SKOS properties

Hi Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke a écrit :
> Sue Ellen,
> Yes, I can see that treating antonyms as synonyms would not suit a
> terminology application at all. And even for thesaurus applications,
> it only works for *some* antonyms in *some* contexts. (For example the
> black/white and war/peace cases that have been mentioned look most
> unlikely candidates.)
I chose "black" and "white" for sake of simplicity, knowing they are
unlikely to appear as concepts in a thesaurus. But we seem to all agree
that antonyms deserve a special treat. And that a pair of antonyms
should be represented in SKOS as two different instances of
skos:Concept, right?
> For a thesaurus manager, however, it is nice to be able to apply this
> treatment in selected cases. Can/should  SKOS try to meet all needs of
> all user groups?
Maybe SKOS (core at least) should not, but RDF can, as Jakob wrote this
need could be dealt with a specific subproperty of skos:related

skos:antonym      rdfs:subPropertyOf      skos:related

If it's not defined in SKOS namespace, nothing prevents to declare it in
a specific extension defined by those who have this need

my-skos-extension:antonym      rdfs:subPropertyOf      skos:related

I've been playing with medical terminologies lately, and there is this
notion of "excludes" in ICD10. See http://www.icd10.ch/
This is also a form a antagonist relationship, which could be defined as
subproperty of skos:related, maybe specific to ICD, maybe reusable by
other vocabularies.

There is no difficulty to specify subproperties of skos:related in RDF.
The real question is to know if those specifications are of enough
general use to be integrated in SKOS core, or defined in SKOS
extensions, or left to the community of users to specify in their own
namespace. For antonyms and exclusions, I'm leaning towards the second
solution.

Cheers

Bernard

> cheers
> Stella

> Stella Dextre Clarke
> Information Consultant
> Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
> Tel: 01235-833-298
> Fax: 01235-863-298
> SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk

*Bernard Vatant