Re: SKOS properties

Hi Sue Ellen and all

I will keep agnostic, to begin with, on the question of knowing if
antonymy as the dark side of synonymy. But I would like to point that in
any case, technically it does not make sense to use "owl:disjointWith"
property to link two skos:Concept(s), simply because a skos:Concept is/
en principe/ not a class (in any case not an owl:Class), and
owl:disjointWith is used to link two owl:Class to express that they have
no common instance. Of course in OWL-Full nothing can prevent you to
declare that a skos:Concept is also a owl:Class, but the logical
consequences of such a declaration are unpredictable :-)

If one wants to use owl:disjointWith for what I guess Quentin and you
have in mind, and make it in a clean way, one should define in OWL the
class of all resources indexed by some "skos:Concept", using a
"owl:hasValue" restriction on "skos:subject", and then declare that the
class of resources (documents) with subject "white" is disjoint with the
class of resources with subject "black". And I'm pretty sure this is not
true, so I tend to balance rather on Stella's side. But I'm reluctant to
go as far as declaring those two classes as "owl:equivalentClass", which
would be the logical expression of considering "white" and "black" as
synonyms. But certainly the intersection is not empty : many, if not all
resources with subject "black" have also the subject "white" (IMO). So
if the classes are not equivalent, they are definitely not disjoint.

So ... I don't know. As Stella says, the standards "allow you" to admit
antonyms as some kind of synonyms/equivalents, or rather to consider a
pair of antonyms as two faces of the same concept. But do they
"recommend" it? And BTW in the case of "black" and "white", on which
basis should I choose "black" rather than "white" as preferred, and the
other as synonym? ( ... too hard an issue for 1.15 a.m.)

Bernard