Re: Comments on "SKOS: requirements for standardization"

Antoine

see comments in line.

Antoine Isaac  wrote on 19/11/06 21:10:

> Hi Bernard,
>

>> some comments on
>> http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/public/skos/press/dc2006/camera-ready-paper.pdf
>>

>> On the whole I agree with much of this, though I'm concerned (and
>> probably a little confused) about the use of the term 'index' as well
>> as some of the underlying assumptions of SKOS.
>

> This use seems to me quite common in the information science world. What
> makes you really unconfortable with?

I'm not from that world so the term is unfamiliar to me. I don't think
we can assume that all our readers will be from that world so I think we
should spell out what our WG (and information science) mean by an 'index'.

>> My background in using SW technologies is pretty much restricted to
>> the two use cases identified in the email archive: conceptual
>> hypermedia [1] and search [2]. Thus my comments on this paper are
>> driven by the requirements and constraints of those use cases.
>>

>> '2.  Defining the scope of SKOS'
>> I'm not sure how to match the workflow described in this section with
>> the workflows of the two use cases I mentioned above. Neither of the
>> use cases appear to have this workflow.
>

> Concerning your UC [2] one could say that the controlled vocabulary is
> used to create a "temporary/virtual" index for the search: the original
> one augmented with the variants found using the controlled vocabulary.
> I agree that this is however a variation from alistair's workflow, the
> main difference being obviously the fact that here your index are not
> manually created. Anyway, when Alistair mentioned it, it was refering to
> the "original" SKOS. I think nothing prevents us from inserting other
> generic scenarios in the loop!

OK, good.

>> '3.  Anticipated Software Architecture'
>> This section seems to omit what seems to me will be a requirement: the
>> transformation of an existing taxonomy/ontology into a SKOS taxonomy.
>> The transformation may be batch or dynamic, but I believe will be
>> necessary.
>>
> I think you're right about the need for a conversion. However, I'm not
> sure this has repercussions on SKOS requirements. Could you be more
> precise about which kind of req you envisioned ?

OK, let me give you a couple of concrete examples:
1) The Gene Ontology. There's a version of the Gene Ontology expressed
in OWL. I'd like a version in SKOS. I want a way of
transforming/transcoding GO-OWL so that I can use it in both of my use
cases. I have no control over GO-OWL, and have no idea how often it
changes, so I'd like the transcoding to be dynamic, such that when I ask
a service for a SKOS version of GO, it transcodes the current version
into SKOS for me.

2) The Sun Unified Product Taxonomy (UPT). The UPT is expressed in RDFS,
and I'd like a version in SKOS (for use in both use cases). However, Sun
has control over the UPT and can produce a parallel version in SKOS
whenever the RDFS version changes. So, in this case all that's required
is a batch conversion.

>> '4.2 Maximizing the Profitability of Controlled Vocabularies '
>> I think it would be useful to state in this section that the adoption
>> of SKOS may also increase the profitability of _existing_ vocabularies
>> by enabling them to be used by a greater number of applications (if
>> the vocabularies can be transformed into a SKOS representation).
>

> You're right. Even if the cost don't lower the cost you can make more
> benefit by sharing it more easily, so there is profitability in what you
> refer to.
> I think that this is actually something that has driven the SKOS idea
> since the beginning, but it might be so obvious that SKOS people could
> forget to tell about it ;-)

Indeed!

regards

Bernard