W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swbp-wg@w3.org > January 2006

[VM] new cookbook editor's draft 2006-01-18 v 1.6

From: Miles, AJ \(Alistair\) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 04:48:54 -0000
Message-ID: <677CE4DD24B12C4B9FA138534E29FB1D0CC4D1@exchange11.fed.cclrc.ac.uk>
To: <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>


Hi all,

New editor's draft of the 'cookbook':

    http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/VM/http-examples/2006-01-18/
    --- $Id: Overview.html,v 1.6 2006/01/27 04:23:11 ajm65 Exp $ ---

I now pass editorial control to Tom B.

Some notes:

Title is now 'Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDFS and OWL Vocabularies/Ontologies'. I argued for having the words 'OWL' and 'ontologies' in the title somehow, to acknowledge the community and improve search hits using those words. I was, however, tempted by the tantalisingly snappy 'Best Practice Recipes for Publishing RDF'.

Ralph argued for RDF as default response where content negotiation is configured, because of dependency of current Semantic Web applications. We found a way around the problem in IE6 that allows URIs to be clickable even with RDF as the default. Ralph argued for this 'workaround' to go into an appendix. I tried doing this, but made a decision to incorporate it into the recipes, because that way the vast majority of people will be able to just copy and paste from one location to another. It didn't make sense to recommend RDF as the default, and then direct everyone who wanted IE6 clickability (i.e. almost everyone) to an appendix that says how each recipe needs to be modified. See the new section 'content negotiation' for an explanation.

PURL recipes are now all in an appendix.

I implemented and tested all the new configurations, using the tests given in the document. Test log at:

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/VM/http-examples/2006-01-18/testlog20060127.txt

This tests the basic functionality of the recipes, but doesn't test if the IE6 'hack' works. To test this, all the following URIs should take you to HTML content when clicked on in IE6 (it worked for me):

http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example3
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example3#ClassA
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example3#ClassB
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example3#propA
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example3#propB
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example4/
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example4/ClassA
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example4/ClassB
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example4/propA
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example4/propB
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example5/
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example5/ClassA
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example5/ClassB
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example5/propA
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/VM/http-examples/example5/propB
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/example8
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/example8#ClassA
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/example8#ClassB
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/example8#propA
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/example8#propB
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex9/
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex9/ClassA
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex9/ClassB
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex9/propA
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex9/propB
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex10/
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex10/ClassA
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex10/ClassB
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex10/propA
http://purl.org/net/swbp-vm/ex10/propB

Cheers,

Al.
Received on Friday, 27 January 2006 04:49:00 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:31:16 UTC