Re: The semantics of rdfs:label

From: Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@istc.cnr.it>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:46:40 +0200
To: danbri@w3.org
Cc: "Christopher Welty" <welty@us.ibm.com>, "Lars Marius Garshol" <larsga@ontopia.net>, public-swbp-wg@w3.org, public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org

>Perhaps if there were a well-known utility class, like xyz:NamingProperty,
>we could use that instead? I'm sure there is more work to do in this area
>on I18N anyhow (use of markup in labels, comments), ie. rdfs:label is
>far from the final word on this topic.
>
>Dan

The label semantics problem is well known in linguistics; in WNET we
have a related discussion on how to encode WordNet entries: labels,
strings with dedicated annotation properties, or owl:individuals

I think those problem emerge from formal semantics lacking support
for semiotic beasts like datatypes, names, labels, etc.

BTW, Dan's proposal to add a new top-level property like
owl:NamingProperty in OWL(DL) is excellent. It can be combined with
additional properties for contextualizing names (useful to restrict
the name to a natural language, a community, etc.).

Aldo
--

Aldo Gangemi
Research Scientist