Re: [ALL/MM] EMMA Last call

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Off top of my head, without having looked at document:
>
> RDF is useful when
>   - data is intended for Web publication
>   - or schema is open and extensible

Nice rule of thumb!

> If EMMA has a fully specified schema that does not need
> application/implementation specific extensions, and the data is
> transient and not intended for Web publication then RDF may have been
> useful but I would not see a comment along the lines of "You should
> have used RDF" as well-founded.

Yes, but that was only part of the discussion.  My suggestion was more
or less along the line of

"If W3C publishes a language spec that is about metadata and annotation,
it either should use RDF, or explain its relationship with RDF"

So I still think it would help if the EMMA spec would explain why RDF
was not used, and how EMMA data could be transformed into RDF when needed.

Jacco

PS: I liked Max' arguments explaining why RDF was not used.  They partly
address missing features in RDF (the ability to express and reason with
uncertainty).
I also liked his example in
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-emma-20031218/#s2.1.3.2.
Note the use of xpointer.  This seems to be a good use case to allow
literals as subjects, in which case you would not have needed the xpointer.
Comments?