Re: Comment: Representing Classes As Property Values on the Semantic Web

Ivan,

I am not sure what you are trying to say.

public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org wrote on 05/04/2005 09:15:50 AM:

> My (editorial) comment refers to Approach #2, but is also valid
elsewhere.

> The text (as well as the code) says:
>
> :LionSubject a :Lion.
>
> and, sort of, makes the implicit conclusion that this also means
>
> :LionSubject a owl:Thing.
>
> However, as far as I understand, this is not true per se *unless* we
know in advance that
> we are in OWL DL or OWL Light.

It is true in all dialects of OWL.  Is there a document somewhere that
states otherwise?

> If we do not know that about an ontology, then there is
> nothing that precludes :LionSubject to be also an owl:Class.

Yes, that much is true for OWL Full, but this does not lead to your
conclusion above.

> Because the essence of the
> text is to emphasize using individuals at that point to make it clearly
DL, I think it
> would be better to explicitly say:
>
> :LionSubject
>    a owl:Thing;
>    a :Lion .

Well, that is not incorrect, but it is redundant.  You do not need to
explicitly say this in any dialect of OWL.  In OWL Full *every* resource
is an OWL:Thing, in OWL DL being an OWL:Thing is entailed by being and
isntance of a class.

-Chris