Re: Multimedia Annotation Task Force Proposal

From: Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:33:55 -0400
To: "Giorgos Stamou" <gstam@softlab.ntua.gr>
Cc: <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>, "'Jane Hunter'" <jane@dstc.edu.au>, "'John R Smith'" <jsmith@us.ibm.com>, "'Hobson Paola-BPH001'" <Paola.Hobson@motorola.com>

Thank you, Giorgos for what looks like a good sketch of a Task Force.

Given the limited time left to this Working Group [1] I'd hoped to see
some more specificity in the 6-month deliverables, but maybe I'm
asking for too much.  I suspect that there is a lot already known
in this area and you, as candidate lead TF coordinator, could take
a lead by writing down some of your specific ideas.  The Task Force
will need to create a detailed agenda quickly in any case, so you
can kick that off by proposing a draft schedule.

Specifically, I had thought from the 11 July discussion that a focus
on MPEG-7 would be primary; effective ways to use RDF, RDFS,
and OWL with the MPEG-7 metadata container.  Reading the
proposed TF description, it seems MPEG-7 is but one of many
things you want to look at.  That's a much broader scope than
I had anticipated.

  [1] The SWBPD charter [2] formally runs through the end of January 2006.
  If we have proven ourselves worthy, we could -- through the Activity Lead --
  propose to revise the charter to continue beyond that date.  But as I said
  at our 11 July telecon, for purposes of Task Forces that we start now, I
  would focus on promising deliverables that can be accomplished within
  the remaining 6 months.

  [2] http://www.w3.org/2003/12/swa/swbpd-charter#sec2

If/when we approve this Task Force, I would like to see the TF Description
include a disclaimer than the longer-term objectives are contingent upon
a Semantic Web Activity modification proposal to continue the Best Practices
and Deployment Working Group beyond its current end-of-charter.

-Ralph