possible new TF: multimedia

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:30:52 +0200
To: SWBPD list <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
CC: Giorgos Stamou <gstam@softlab.ntua.gr>

All,

Enclosed is a draft TF description for consideration by the WG, written
by Giorgos  Stamou, who expects to join the WG as a member participant
shortly.

A task force of this type was high on our priority list at our kickoff
ftf in Cannes (link RDF/OWL-MPEG), but up till now we lacked the
resources to start such a group. I think there is an opportunity now and
I very much welcome a discussion on the goals/focus of such a task force.

Guus

Task Force Description

NAME	Multimedia Annotation on the Semantic Web (MM)

STATUS:	Draft/Considered

COORDINATORS:
Giorgos Stamou, NTUA
Jacco van Ossenbruggen, CWI
Jeff Pan, UoM

MEMBERS
to be included

OBJECTIVES

(1) short-term objectives:

-	Investigate potential approaches for multimedia annotation
strategies that combine and/or integrate the SemWeb languages
approach (RDF, OWL, SPARQL, Rule Languages, �) with the
DDL/XMLSchema-based approach of MPEG-7 in an interoperable way.
-	Collect currently used vocabularies for multimedia annotations
(like Dublin Core, VRA, �)
-	Use Cases providing examples of multimedia annotations using the
above vocabularies
-	Investigate existing tools and other formats (ID3, EXIF, XMP,
etc)
-	Alignment with other Task Forces of the BPWG

(2) longer-term objectives:

Develop best practice guidelines for

-	Multimedia annotators that want to export their annotations on
the Semantic Web and/or import SemWeb data into their multimedia
annotation tools.
-	Provide readily applicable mapping tools (using XSLT, SPARQL,
transformation rules, mappings etc)

APPROACH

(1) Short term objectives:

-	Compare issues discussed and approaches suggested in literature,
including those in the bibliography. Collect existing approaches
for MPEG-7 and Semantic Web interoperability.
-	Investigate current European projects (aceMedia, Muscle, �), US
and Australian projects, ontology libraries, demos etc, for
vocabularies of multimedia annotations, use cases, existing tools
etc.
-	Define the appropriate use cases, including (but not limited to)
the areas of e-culture, medicine, personal and professional
audiovisual archiving and management.

SCOPE

In scope: make the SemWeb, ISO and other multimedia technologies
interoperable.
Out of scope: development of new standards.

DELIVERABLES

Description of expected results:
-	Multimedia ontology collection
-	Feasibility report (including patent and copyright issues) on the
interoperability between SW and MM annotation standards.
-	Review of existing tools
-	Use cases

LINK TO DRAFTS
- None yet

TARGET AUDIENCE & USE CASES
-	Professionals (museums, libraries, audiovisual archives, media
production and broadcast industry, image and video banks) and
non-professional (end-users) multimedia annotators.
-	Institutions and organizations with research and standardization
activities in the area of multimedia.

DEPENDENCIES (if any)
- Other TFs: The approaches/guidelines of this TF need to be aligned
with the WordNet, Applications and Demos TFs.
- Other W3C groups: activities on accessibility.

RELEVANT LITERATURE/REQUIRED READING

Stamou, G., and S. Kollias eds, �Multimedia Content and the Semantic
Web: Methods, Standards and Tools�, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, 2005.

Jane Hunter.  Adding Multimedia to the Semantic Web --- Building an
MPEG-7 Ontology.  In: International Semantic Web Working Symposium
(SWWS) Stanford University, California, USA July 30 - August 1, 2001.
Available at http://www.semanticweb.org/SWWS/program/full/paper59.pdf

Raphael Troncy.  Integrating Structure and Semantics into Audio-visual
Documents.  In: The Semantic Web - ISWC 2003 Sanibel Island, Florida,
USA pp. 566 - 581 Springer-Verlag Heidelberg, October 20-23, 2003.
Available at
http://www.springerlink.com/media/6cc6l524yndvyn5jte27/Contributions/U/
3/T/X/U3TXQY8BR03TE7RG.pdf

Jacco van Ossenbruggen, Frank Nack, and Lynda Hardman/ That Obscure
Object of Desire: Multimedia Metadata on the Web (Part I) /In:/ IEEE
Multimedia 11(4), pp. 38-48 October -- December 2004

Frank Nack, Jacco van Ossenbruggen, and Lynda Hardman/ That Obscure
Object of Desire: Multimedia Metadata on the Web (Part II) /In:/ IEEE
Multimedia 12(1), pp. 54-63 January -- March 2005

Tel: +31 20 598 7739/7718; e-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl
Home page: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~guus/