From: www-rdf-interest-request@w3.org
[mailto:www-rdf-interest-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Miles, AJ (Alistair)
Sent: 07 July 2005 13:36
To: Thomas Baker
Cc: public-swbp-wg@w3.org; www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Subject: RE: [VM] Configuration management for RDFS/OWL ontologies

Perhaps a slightly confusing name, but in a project management (e.g.
prince2) context 'configuration management' means a system for controlling
change to ensure quality, and that's what we need for RDF vocabs.  I.e. we
need to know how to support *commercial strength* RDF vocab and ontology
development.

If you've got 'The Little Prince2' look at section 6.1.1 'Planning Quality'
... very useful, tho I better not reproduce it here for fear of copyright
infringement.  It highlights 5 processes:

Planning: this is what we did when we discussed the policy statements
section of the SKOS Core spec - we decided what level of configuration
management is required, and we wrote a process for achieving it.

Identification: this means identifying all the components of a product.  In
the case of SKOS Core this is all the properties and classes, in the case of
a generic RDF vocab it could be modules as well.

Control: this means 'freezing' products and making changes only within a
formal (or at least clearly defined) procedure, involving e.g. access
rights, version tracking.  For SKOS Core this is editorial responsibility,
historical snapshots, and the review process.

Status accounting: this means keeping a record of current and historical
data for a product, especially relating to the status of the product.  For
SKOS Core this is per-term stability levels.

Verification: verifying that actual status matches recorded/authorised
status.  We could do that e.g. by checking if changes have occurred to a
class or prop between versions that are not allowed by the term's stability
level.

An analogy is e.g. car or aerospace engineering.  With good configuration
management you can track a problem back to the specific batch of faulty nuts
or bolts.  With poor configuration management you have no idea what went
wrong or how to fix it.

Cheers,

Al.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Configuration_management