Re: [SE] Ontology Driven Architectures

Phil,

Sorry to disappoint you but there's no debate here, I agree with the
objectives of the task force and your responses below.  I am just pointing
you at places that have looked at this problem before, so you can both
avoid the mistakes and build on the successes.

I can put you in touch with the right people in the ASE community if you
like.  *They* may take up the debate.

Cheers,
Chris

Phil Tetlow <philip.tetlow@uk.ibm.com> wrote on 01/05/2005 10:21:34 AM:

> [...]
tooling
> (perhaps Rational etc) appears that can easily manipulate this type of
> artifact properly within relevant contexts, then I am confident that
> significant sections of the industry might be persuaded. As such, I
> personally hold the view that the climate may well be changing and it
is,
> at the very least, our responsibility to highlight the potential gains
of
> amalgamating Semantic Web technologies with more traditional design
> methods. For some, this may well prove a huge bonus, for others a real
> bind. That's the nature of our profession. We should be able to pick and
> choose from all the tools and technologies at our disposal. The real
trick
> is combining them in ways that add unexpected quality and value...
>
> Perhaps you could provide more input on a suitable candidate description
> for ODA, filling in the ASE point of view?.
>
> Please forgive my ranting. I'm delighted to see some active debate
emerging
> on this subject..
>
> Regards
>
> Phil Tetlow
> Senior Consultant
> IBM Business Consulting Services
> Mobile. (+44) 7740 923328
>

>              Christopher Welty
>              <welty@us.ibm.com
>                                        Phil Tetlow/UK/IBM@IBMGB
>              05/01/2005 09:07 cc
>                                        Cliff Jones
>                                        <cliff.jones@ncl.ac.uk>, Grady
>                                        Booch <gbooch@us.ibm.com>, SWBPD

>                                        <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>,
>                                        public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
> Subject
>                                        Re: [SE] Ontology Driven
>                                        Architectures
>

> public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org wrote on 01/05/2005 08:29:12 AM:
> > Ontology Driven Architectures
> >
> > In all well-established engineering disciplines, modelling reality
> through
> > a variety of formal and semi-formal notations has proven itself
essential
> > to advancing the practice in each such domain. As such, large section
of

> s/section/sections/
>
> > the Software Engineering profession have evolved from the concept of
> > constructing models of one form or another as a means to develop,
> > communicate and verify abstract designs in accordance with original
> > requirements. Such ideas have spawned the fields of Computers Aided
>
> Usually when you start with "x has evolved from y" there is a "to z", I
> read this and found myself expecting this sentence to finish.  So I'm
not
> sure what you're trying to convey here.
>
> Also, the research community of Automated SOftware Engineering (ASE),
> formerly Knowledge-Based Software Engineering (KBSE), has been around
for
> about 20 years, and grew out of the remnants of the Automatic
Programming
> community.  This community has been doing research in precisely this
area
> for that entire time.  Check out the ASE conference at
> [http://ase.cs.uni-essen.de/]
>
> > Software Engineering (CASE) and, more recently, Model Driven
> Architectures
> > (MDA), where models are not only used for design purposes, but
associated
> > tools and techniques can be utilised further to generate executable
> > artefacts for use later in the Software Lifecycle. Nevertheless there
has
> > always been a frustrating paradox present with tooling use in Software
> > Engineering that has arisen from the range of modelling techniques
> > available and the spectrum of systems requiring design: Engineering
> > nontrivial systems demands rigour and unambiguous statement of
concept,
> yet
> > the more formal the modelling approach chosen, the more abstract the
> tools
> > needed, often making methods difficult to implement, limiting the
freedom
> > of expression available to the engineer and proving a barrier to
> > communication amongst lesser experienced practitioners. For these
reasons

> s/lesser/less/
>
> In US English, at least, the "lesser" in  "lesser experienced
> practitioners" modifies "practitioners" not "experienced"
>
> > less formal approaches have seen mainstream commercial acceptance in
> recent
> > years, with the Unified Modelling Language (UML) currently being the
most
> > favoured amongst professionals.
> >
> > Even so, approaches like the UML are by no means perfect. Although
they
> are
> > capable of capturing highly complex conceptualisations, current
versions
> > are far from semantically rich. Furthermore they can be notoriously
> > unambiguous. A standard isolated schematic from such a language, no
> matter
>
> Surely you mean ambiguous?
>
> > how perfect, can still be open to gross misinterpretation by engineers
> who
> > are not overly familiar with its source problem space. It is true that
> > supporting annotation and documentation can help alleviate such
problems,
> > but traditionally this has still involved a separate, literal, verbose
> and
> > long-winded activity often disjointed for the production of the actual
> > schematic itself.
> >
> > What is needed instead is a way to incorporate unambiguous, rich
> semantics
> > into the various semi-formal schemes underlying methods like the UML.
In
> so
> > doing, the ontologies inherent to a system?s real world problem space
and
> > its various abstract solution spaces could be encapsulated via the
very
> > same representations used to engineer its design. This would not only
> > provide a basis for improved communication, conformance verification
and
> > automated generation of run time-artefacts, but would also present
> > additional mechanisms for cross-checking the consistency of
deliverables
> > throughout the design process and enable stronger inter-project
> > connectivity via the sharing of ontological concepts.
> >
> > In many respects an ontology can be considered as simply a formal
model
> in
> > its own right. Hence, given the semantically rich, unambiguous
qualities
> of
> > information embodiment via ontologies on the Semantic Web and the
> > universality of the Semantic Web?s XML heritage, there appears a
> compelling
> > argument to combine the semi-formal Model Driven techniques of
Software
> > Engineering with those common to Ontology representation on the
Semantic
> > Web.
>
> You should know that this has been tried before and failed.  The problem
> was that the ontology, as an independent artifact, needed to be
maintained
> to stay relevant, but after requirements, specification, and design were
> complete, the ontology was no longer strictly needed for maintenance of
the
> software, and like documentation, fell out of synch with the software
and
> became less useful.  It is extremely difficult to convince people that
they
> need to maintain all these artifacts along with the software.
>
> That's no reason not to try again, but understanding why previous
efforts
> failed can't hurt as you go forward.
>

> > Kind Regards
> >
> > Phil Tetlow