Re: [SE] Ontology Driven Architectures

public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org wrote on 01/05/2005 08:29:12 AM:
> Ontology Driven Architectures
>
> In all well-established engineering disciplines, modelling reality
through
> a variety of formal and semi-formal notations has proven itself
essential
> to advancing the practice in each such domain. As such, large section of

s/section/sections/

> the Software Engineering profession have evolved from the concept of
> constructing models of one form or another as a means to develop,
> communicate and verify abstract designs in accordance with original
> requirements. Such ideas have spawned the fields of Computers Aided

Usually when you start with "x has evolved from y" there is a "to z", I
read this and found myself expecting this sentence to finish.  So I'm not
sure what you're trying to convey here.

Also, the research community of Automated SOftware Engineering (ASE),
formerly Knowledge-Based Software Engineering (KBSE), has been around for
about 20 years, and grew out of the remnants of the Automatic Programming
community.  This community has been doing research in precisely this area
for that entire time.  Check out the ASE conference at
[http://ase.cs.uni-essen.de/]

> Software Engineering (CASE) and, more recently, Model Driven
Architectures
> (MDA), where models are not only used for design purposes, but
associated
> tools and techniques can be utilised further to generate executable
> artefacts for use later in the Software Lifecycle. Nevertheless there
has
> always been a frustrating paradox present with tooling use in Software
> Engineering that has arisen from the range of modelling techniques
> available and the spectrum of systems requiring design: Engineering
> nontrivial systems demands rigour and unambiguous statement of concept,
yet
> the more formal the modelling approach chosen, the more abstract the
tools
> needed, often making methods difficult to implement, limiting the
freedom
> of expression available to the engineer and proving a barrier to
> communication amongst lesser experienced practitioners. For these
reasons

s/lesser/less/

In US English, at least, the "lesser" in  "lesser experienced
practitioners" modifies "practitioners" not "experienced"

> less formal approaches have seen mainstream commercial acceptance in
recent
> years, with the Unified Modelling Language (UML) currently being the
most
> favoured amongst professionals.
>
> Even so, approaches like the UML are by no means perfect. Although they
are
> capable of capturing highly complex conceptualisations, current versions
> are far from semantically rich. Furthermore they can be notoriously
> unambiguous. A standard isolated schematic from such a language, no
matter

Surely you mean ambiguous?

> how perfect, can still be open to gross misinterpretation by engineers
who
> are not overly familiar with its source problem space. It is true that
> supporting annotation and documentation can help alleviate such
problems,
> but traditionally this has still involved a separate, literal, verbose
and
> long-winded activity often disjointed for the production of the actual
> schematic itself.
>
> What is needed instead is a way to incorporate unambiguous, rich
semantics
> into the various semi-formal schemes underlying methods like the UML. In
so
> doing, the ontologies inherent to a system?s real world problem space
and
> its various abstract solution spaces could be encapsulated via the very
> same representations used to engineer its design. This would not only
> provide a basis for improved communication, conformance verification and
> automated generation of run time-artefacts, but would also present
> additional mechanisms for cross-checking the consistency of deliverables
> throughout the design process and enable stronger inter-project
> connectivity via the sharing of ontological concepts.
>
> In many respects an ontology can be considered as simply a formal model
in
> its own right. Hence, given the semantically rich, unambiguous qualities
of
> information embodiment via ontologies on the Semantic Web and the
> universality of the Semantic Web?s XML heritage, there appears a
compelling
> argument to combine the semi-formal Model Driven techniques of Software
> Engineering with those common to Ontology representation on the Semantic
> Web.

You should know that this has been tried before and failed.  The problem
was that the ontology, as an independent artifact, needed to be maintained
to stay relevant, but after requirements, specification, and design were
complete, the ontology was no longer strictly needed for maintenance of
the software, and like documentation, fell out of synch with the software
and became less useful.  It is extremely difficult to convince people that
they need to maintain all these artifacts along with the software.

That's no reason not to try again, but understanding why previous efforts
failed can't hurt as you go forward.

> Kind Regards
>
> Phil Tetlow
> Senior Consultant
> IBM Business Consulting Services
> Mobile. (+44) 7740 923328
> ----- Forwarded by Phil Tetlow/UK/IBM on 05/01/2005 07:59 -----
>
>              "Jeff Pan"
>              <pan@cs.man.ac.uk
>                                        Phil Tetlow/UK/IBM@IBMGB,
"\"Grady
>              05/01/2005 07:29          Booch\"" <gbooch@us.ibm.com>
> cc
>
> Subject
>                                        Re: Ontology Driven Architectures
-
>                                        Help needed with an early
>                                        description for W3C please
>

> Hi Phil and Grady,
>
> Sorry for getting back to you late - our servers had been down since
> Christmas and they only went back to work earlier this morning.
>
> In accordance with Grady's suggestion, what do you think if we extend
the
> first sentence of the last paragraph into
>
> "In many respects an ontology can be considered as simply a *formal*
model
> in its
> own right. "
>
> Happy New Year,
> Jeff
>
> --
> Dr. Jeff Z. Pan  ( http://DL-Web.man.ac.uk/ )
> School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester

SWBP
> [...]
> very same representations used to engineer its design. This would not
only
> provide a basis for improved communication, conformance verification and
> automated generation of run time-artefacts, but would also present
> additional mechanisms for cross-checking the consistency of deliverables
> throughout the design process.
>
> In many respects an ontology can be considered as simply a model in its
> own right. Hence, given the semantically rich, unambiguous qualities of
> information embodiment via ontologies on the Semantic Web and the
> universality of the Semantic Web?s XML heritage, there appears a
> compelling argument to combine the semi-formal Model Driven techniques
of
> Software Engineering with those common to Ontology representation on the

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA

Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/