RE: [WNET],[OEP] OntoWordNet. A new large OWL ontology

I agree with Mike: reliability and the right analytic detail for the
task at hand are the essential requisites for a good ontology.
How to get them, it's another story. How to measure them, still
another. WordNet can be good for its generality, which is also its
weakness. That's why the TF contains an activity aimed at indicating
how to use WordNet to create something else. In the meantime, WordNet
seems to be useful in many cases.

Concerning lexical ontologies, there is a quite straightforward
definition: if the elements of an ontology (classes, properties, and
individuals, possibly axioms) depend primarily on the acceptance of
existing lexical entries, the ontology can be called "lexical".
WordNet, formal or not, it's such a case.

But one can force this statement, by saying that if one is able to
build a comprehensible paraphrase in some natural language of each
ontology element, then that's a linguistically-sound ontology. Which
holds for most (if not all) ontologies.

Therefore, "lexical" depends on the agreement of lexicographers. In
fact, if we use an ontology learning technique from corpora, and
state the boundaries of lexical units according to dynamic functional
properties, such an ontology would be very different from a "lexical"
ontology.

Cheers
Aldo