RE: [OEP] OWL and Semantic interoperability

Mike,

There are a plethora of systems that are more expressive than OWL.
Mentioning one, or two simply begs the question: "Why didn't you mention
<my favorite KR system>?"   To avoid this question, simply avoid
*mentioning* things that are not W3C standards - we have a responsibility
to cover W3C standards.  We have no responsibility to cover anything else.

I'm not suggesting you avoid talking about any limitations of OWL here -
quite the opposite.  Point out the pluses and minuses of OWL but stop
short of recommending, or even implying a recommendation, that someone use
something else.  The philosophy should be somthing like, "So, you are
going to use OWL for doing semantic integration - here's what you can and
cannot do".

-Chris

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA

Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/

"Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>
02/07/2005 03:34 PM

Christopher Welty/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
<public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
Subject
RE: [OEP] OWL and Semantic interoperability

Thanks, Chris.

I was not going to talk about SWRL, other than to mention that it
addresses one of the key limitations of OWL for semantic interoperability.
I think it is quite important to talk about procedural functions such as
arithmetic and string manipulation because they are important for many
real-world interoperability solutions.

What is the argument for NOT mentioning this as a key limitation?
What you you say are the key limitations that ARE worth discussing?

Mike

Below is a revised outline of the note.

This note addresses the role of OWL in overcoming problems of semantic
heterogeneity.  We briefly characterize what we mean by semantic
interoperability, and what the challenges are. We describe some OWL
constructs that are designed to support semantic interoperability and
illustrate them with examples. We highlight their strengths and
limitations.  The main strengths are the ability to import, share and
reuse public ontologies (in whole or part) and the ability to express
logical equivalence between concepts, properties and individuals in
different ontologies. The main weakness is the lack of support for
procedural functions (e.g. arithmetic, string manipulation) that are
needed for mapping between many real-world ontologies.

The main message is that while OWL provides a basis for achieving semantic
interoperability in a ceratain range of situations, it is no silver bullet
for the general problem of achieving semantic interoperability.    The
main limitations can be addressed by provision of explicit support for
procedural functions and an expressive rule language.  Such functions are
not efficient to implement in an inference engine and need to be supported
using built-ins. Technologies exist that can provide such support (e.g.
SWRL, Flogic engines); however they are not standards.
OWL is an important  step forward, and there are more steps to go.

I agree with a reduction in negativity on the tone in the abstract, and I
think procedureally its out of scope to talk about SWRL.  I'd recommend
sticking to what OWL can and can't do.  Here's a slight rewording for your
consideration:

This note addresses the role of OWL in overcoming problems of semantic
heterogeneity.  We briefly characterize what we mean by semantic
interoperability, and what the challenges are. We describe some OWL
constructs that are designed to support semantic interoperability and
illustrate them with examples. We highlight their strengths and
limitations.  The main message is that OWL is no silver bullet for the
general problem of achieving semantic interoperability;  it is
a step forward, but by no means the final step.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA

Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/

"Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>
Sent by: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
02/04/2005 08:34 PM

<public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
cc
<rector@cs.man.ac.uk>, Christopher Welty/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
[OEP] OWL and Semantic interoperability

At a recent OEP meeting Pat Hayes made some great points, and there was
some good discusion.  The following summarizes what was said, to the
best of my ability.

*                 many traditional prolbms of semantic interoperability
will go
away with the Semantic Web, mainly because there is an infrastructure to
support semantic agreements (through publishing ontologies)
*                 the Semantic Web forces people to think about making
thing
interoperable more than before, hence things will be better.
*                 problems of semantic interoperability will go away to
the extent
that people reference and re-use public ontologies in ways that are
consistent with their original intended use.
o                 e.g. FOAF: mailboxOf , DC:author
*                 Semantic Web provides not only the technical capability,
but the
social motivation to resue concepts, so less translation will be
necessary
*                 Warning: reusing ontologies is hard, just like reusing
software
code is hard. People reuse code in the wrong way. The Semantic Web makes
it likely that people will reuse [portions of] ontologies in incorrect
ways too.

Pat: can you please elaborate on this a bit, I'm sure I missed some key
things.

BTW: my current working abstract for the note is:

This note addresses the role of OWL in overcoming problems of semantic
heterogeneity.  We briefly characterize what we mean by semantic
interoperability, and what the challenges are. We describe some OWL
constructs that are designed to support semantic interoperability and
illustrate them with examples. We highlight their strengths and
limitations.  The main message is that OWL is no silver bullet for the
general problem of achieving semantic interoperability.  The support
provided is very limited.  Many of these limitations will be overcome by
the Semantic Web Rule Language (SWRL) that is currently under
development.

Thanks
Mike