W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swbp-wg@w3.org > August 2005

meeting record: 2005-08-22 SWBPD telecon

From: Ralph R. Swick <swick@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:40:35 -0400
Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.2.20050822164021.02ca51e8@127.0.0.1>
To: public-swbp-wg@w3.org

The record[1] of today's SWBPD WG telecon is ready for review.

   [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/08/22-swbp-minutes.html

A text snapshot of Revision: 1.2 Date: 2005/08/22 20:23:21 follows:

----
SWBPD WG

22 Aug 2005

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Aug/0062.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2005/08/22-swbp-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Guus Schreiber, Ralph Swick, Fabien Gandon, Giorgos Stamou,
          Chris Welty, Alistair Miles, Benjamin Nguyen (irc only)

   Regrets
          David Booth, Deborah McGuinness, Elisa Kendall, Natasha Noy,
          Phil Tetlow, Libby Miller, Jeff Pan, Brian McBride

   Chair
          Guus

   Scribe
          Ralph

   Previous
          [4]2005-07-25

      [4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jul/0112.html

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Admin
         2. Liaison
               o 2.1 Proposed resolution httpRange-14
               o 2.2 XML Schema Last Call
               o 2.4 WAI Protocol and Formats WG Request
               o 2.5 Other
         3. TF Updates
               o 3.11 MM TF Proposal
               o 3.1 PORT
               o 3.2 OEP
               o 3.3 WordNet
               o 3.4 XML Schema datatypes
               o 3.8 RDFTM
               o 3.10 SE TF
     * Summary of Action Items

     _____________________________________________________________

1. Admin

   RESOLVED [21]minutes of previous telecon accepted

     [21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jul/0112.html

   next meeting: 5 September

   Ralph: 5 September is a US Holiday, "Labor Day"

   ChrisW: I am willing to meet on the 5th

   Guus: I'm not available on 12 September

   Ralph: ok to meet, but expect regrets from many U.S. participants

   Guus: 5 Sep or the following telecon we should consider what work we
   might want to propose for a charter extension or which work to close
   down

2. Liaison

2.1 Proposed resolution httpRange-14

   ACTION: Ralph, DavidW, and DavidB to an initial draft of TAG
   httpRange-14 resolution impact on semweb application developers
   [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action02]
   [CONTINUES]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action02

2.2 XML Schema Last Call

   ACTION: jjc to review [23]XML Schema last call recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action02]
   [CONTINUES]

     [23] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-xmlschema-ref-20050329/
     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action02

2.3 OMG: ODM Review

   ACTION: Guus to comment on ODM [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action05]
   [WITHDRAWN]

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action05

   Chris: there was discussion on whether triples are resources
   ... we were about to conclude that a triple was not a resource as it
   does not have a URI
   ... Pat Hayes corrected us pointing out that triples _could_ be
   resources if they were given URIs
   ... this question has caused confusion in the community
   ... the RDF specification is confusing, particularly as reification is
   non-normative

   Ralph: it has been my belief that something could be a Resource and
   yet not have a URI

   Guus: what are the practical implications?

   Chris: this impacts the ODM work as they are trying to produce a data
   model for RDF, RDFS, and OWL
   ... if there is a class for Statement, does it go under the Resource
   class or not?
   ... like Guus, I did not believe that triples were resources until Pat
   pointed this out
   ... perhaps we need some more documentation in this area to spread the
   word

   ACTION: ChrisW post mail to the WG about the ODM question of triples,
   Statements, and Resources [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/22-swbp-minutes.html#action03]

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2005/08/22-swbp-minutes.html#action03

2.4 WAI Protocol and Formats WG Request

   ACTION: jjc review EARL requirements [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action05]
   [CONTINUES]

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action05

   Guus: request from Al Gilman, "[28]Fwd: PFWG is seeking some
   conversation time with SW Best Practices [...] Group"
   ... defer discussion to future telecon

     [28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Aug/0043.html

2.5 Other

   Guus: "[29]Using URIs to identify non-information resources" David
   Booth 2005-07-11] has generated a lot of discussion:

     [29] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jul/0045.html

   Guus: defer this discussion to next telecon

3. TF Updates

3.11 MM TF Proposal

   [30]Revised version of MM TF proposal [27]

     [30] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jul/0107.html
     [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action05

   PROPOSED to accept this TF as a new SWBP TF.

   Ralph: my specific comments have been addressed in this proposal
   update but I have a general sense of unease given the lack of response
   from the rest of the WG

   Chris: I share this discomfort; the WG is stretched very thin and we
   are having trouble reviewing the work of the current task forces

   Guus: we can talk next meeting about shutting down some Task Forces

   Chris: that won't help, as the candidates to be shut down are not
   producing documents to review
   ... work produced by the proposed MM task force will need to be
   reviewed by the rest of the WG
   ... there isn't enough bandwidth in the rest of the WG for this review
   ... SE TF is experiencing this problem right now

   <Benjamin> I have reviewed SE draft

   <Benjamin> albeit with some delay, for which I am sorry about

   <Benjamin> [31]review posted to the WG this afternoon

     [31] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Aug/0066.html

   Guus: I'm afraid if we continue to postpone this it will be too late
   to start

   Giorgos: we have a collection of examples, several projects, and
   several people have been sending us materials

   <ChrisW> I won't vote against the proposal

   Giorgos: we are now working on a formal deliverable
   ... we have given ourselves a deadline of end of September for this
   deliverable

   Guus: please send this to the WG list
   ... I'd like to take a positive attitude and see how it can fit in

   <aliman> I think as long as we have the effort to run the TF, and we
   think the TF is worthy, then we should go ahead.

   Giorgos: we have posted to the WG and several, including Jeremy, have
   send commetns
   ... some comments from outside W3C also

   -> [32]Collecting examples of image annotation on the semantic web
   [Jacco 2005-07-27]

     [32] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jul/0094.html

   Guus: this is a big area for the Web and the proposal has clear
   short-term goals

   Giogos: we have shared this TF proposal with some non-Members such as
   Jane Hunter and John Smith from IBM
   ... if we don't formally open the TF those individuals may not be able
   to contribute

   Guus: we don't have enough people at this telecon to make a decision
   today

   Guus: I welcome the TF to continue to work on the assumption of a
   positive decision at the next WG telecon
   ... I am very sorry for the continued delay in making a decision

3.1 PORT

   <aliman> re PORT ... discussion around 2nd review of SKOS Core is
   underway, Mark van Assem has submitted comments on proposed changes,
   waiting on Ralph for comments on proposed changes.

3.2 OEP

   Guus: n-ary relations reviews from Guus and Ralph are done

   ACTION: Guus review new n-ary relations editor's draft [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action04] [DONE]

     [33] [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action04

   ACTION: Ralph review new n-ary relations editor's draft [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action03] [DONE]

     [34] [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action03

   Chris: we haven't had TF telecons for a while but hope to resume next
   week
   ... we are thinking of rescheduling OEP TF telecon to Monday on
   alternate weeks between WG telecon
   ... the purpose of the abstract syntax note was to help in writing
   simple part-whole note
   ... would like reviewers to see that simple part-whole note meets
   their requirements
   ... the new part-whole draft reflects responses to all the reviews

   [35]Using OWL abstract syntax in notes [Chris 2005-08-10]

     [35] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Aug/0019.html

   [36]editors draft of simple part-whole note ready for review Chris
   2005-08-11]

     [36] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Aug/0024.html

   Guus: the reviewers should confirm that their comments have been
   addressed

   Chris: Bill from Adobe was one of the reviewers and hasn't been around
   much. Don't expect difficulty getting confirmation from the other
   reviewers. Most comments were editorial

3.3 WordNet

   Guus: there has been some progress

   ACTION: Aldo to propose an update the Wordnet TF description [recorded
   in [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/04/07-swbp-minutes.html#action04]
   [CONTINUES]

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2005/04/07-swbp-minutes.html#action04

   -> [38]Proposal for WordNet datamodel from Mark van Assem

     [38] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Aug/0010.html

3.4 XML Schema datatypes

   ACTION: JeffP to draft a response to dave reynolds [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action09]
   [CONTINUES]

     [39] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action09

   Comments:
   [40]Frank Manola 2005-04-29
   [41]Dave Reynolds 2005-07-18

     [40] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Apr/0094.html
     [41] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2005Jul/0058.html

3.8 RDFTM

   ACTION: Guus send email to Steve Pepper re status of new rdftm draft
   [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action07] [DONE]

     [42] http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action07

3.10 SE TF

   ACTION: Chris to review SETF note [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action08]
   [WITHDRAWN]

     [43] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action08

   ACTION: Benjamin to review SETF note [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action08] [DONE]

     [44] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action08

   <Benjamin> see my previous comments on the log

   ACTION: Guus remind WG about participation expectations [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2005/08/22-swbp-minutes.html#action05]

     [45] http://www.w3.org/2005/08/22-swbp-minutes.html#action05

   [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: ChrisW post mail to the WG about the ODM question of
   triples, Statements, and Resources
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/22-swbp-minutes.html#action03]

   [NEW] ACTION: Guus remind WG about participation expectations
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/22-swbp-minutes.html#action05]

   [DONE] ACTION: Benjamin to review SETF note
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action08]

   [DONE] ACTION: Guus review new n-ary relations editor's draft
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action04]

   [DONE] ACTION: Guus send email to Steve Pepper re status of new rdftm
   draft
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/11-swbp-minutes.html#action07]

   [DONE] ACTION: Ralph review new n-ary relations editor's draft
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action03]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Aldo to propose an update the Wordnet TF description
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/04/07-swbp-minutes.html#action04

   [PENDING] ACTION: Gavin find out from his community and contacts if
   they have use cases for GRDDL

   [PENDING] ACTION: JeffP to draft a response to dave reynolds
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action09]

   [PENDING] ACTION: jjc review EARL requirements
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action05]

   [PENDING] ACTION: jjc to review XML Schema last call
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/07/25-swbp-minutes.html#action02]

   [PENDING] ACTION: Ralph, DavidW, and DavidB to an initial draft of TAG
   httpRange-14 resolution impact on semweb application developers
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action02]

   [WITHDRAWN]]ACTION: Chris to review SETF note
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action08]

   [WITHDRAWN]]ACTION: Guus to comment on ODM
   [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/06/27-swbp-minutes.html#action05]

   [End of minutes]

   Change log:
$Log: 22-swbp-minutes.html,v $
Revision 1.2  2005/08/22 20:23:21  swick
Cleanup for first publication

     _____________________________________________________________

    $Date: 2005/08/22 20:23:21 $
Received on Monday, 22 August 2005 20:40:53 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:31:11 UTC