Re: [OEP,ALL] Potential topics for OEP notes

I also agree that all of these would be useful and also that we will
want to prioritize.

I met in person or discussed the issue in email with a few people in the
last few weeks and also have input on the following topics:

1.  part-of.
a.  I met with evan about the simpler part-of note.  Evan is interesting
in contributing to that one and I also agreed to help.  as background, i
designed the part-of  solution for ontolingua/jtp part-of reasoning in
the high performance knowledge base effort.  we essentially put in some
structure for some set of part-of relationships and identified critical
properties of those notions such as if they were transitive.
i had spoken to evan about geographic containment in particular since it
is so useful and less controversial than others.
i also contacted mike uschold by email about this simpler note and asked
if he would be interested in helping since i believe he has done a more
thorough look at gruber's units and measures than anyone.  he agreed.
b.  I also spoke to chris about his broader notion of a part-of note and
agreed to help with that. arguably the simpler note a might be a
starting point for one portion of the broader note b.   for example,
note a could be very operational with an example solution and note b
could include more discussion about the thornier part-of issues and less
agreed upon issues.

2. Time.  In May, I spoke with Jerry Hobbs about a note based on his
time ontology.  He was interested then.  The idea might be to take his
work as a starting point.  I offered to help with this since we also
have a special temporal reasoner in jtp that we are now integrating with
owl time.
The work is not quite done but when it is, that might be a convenient
starting point as an operational example of using owl time.

3.  Role Closing.  It may make sense for alan and me to talk about this
one and do it together.  In the classic stereo configurator for example,
we had a special "close all roles" function implemented to that a user
could call from the interface by the click of a button.  it had a
general solution embedded in it but also leveraged information about the
domain.   With colleagues, I started to write up the general solution
for publication and we identified that there were thornier problems
lurking and unfortunately we never finished the academic quality
publication.
In some of the CLASSIC literature, i mentioned a little about simple
operational solutions.  I am thinking that an operationally oriented
note combining alan's and my perspectives might go a long way.
a while ago i started the "how to do it" collection for webont.  i can

more generally, one thing i saw oep doing was moving forward with the
how to do it notion  where the emphasis was on helping normal people use
owl.     that was somewhat motivated by the usefulness of the "tricks of
the trade" portion of the "living with classic" paper.   that attemped
to mention some of the typical questions we were asked and the "typical"
modeling solutions.

selfishly, i would like to find a way to contribute to notes that are
both useful and fun.  One aspect of fun to write might be that some
portion of them may be useful for a publication.  It is conceivable that
we might have the operational/useful starting point that is the simpler
note to get out
and then have a second phase of the note that is something that has more
scholarly contribution.

--
 Deborah L. McGuinness
 Knowledge Systems Laboratory