Re: WordNet Task Force - work outline

Jeremy:

Aldo Gangemi wrote:
> Are you offering to investigate on this?
I am offering to suggest to the Jena team that we should provide some
support for a WordNet schema if there was *one* to support. (The range of
choices is our main current obstacle).

I don't think we have the time to do much work on this ... the normal level
of support we provide for such things is pretty minimal - a Java class with
the schema property and classes as member fields - but that is quite useful
and not very much work. I would be surprised if we would do more than that
in the short term, (there are some Jena-team discussions that suggest we
might want to do more).

I wouldn't want to take the lead here (in terms of what other software
teams might do), I suggest that the message you're drafting includes a
specific part for tools developers asking what support for WordNet they
might include. If so I promise a response from the Jena team.

> Wait wait ... WordNet as an ontology (the synset network) is stable, and
> versioning is Princeton's work. When anyone takes it, should mention
> which version is using, what parts are used, etc.
> The researches aimed at "changing" the synset network (in the best
> cases) do not modify WordNet arbitrarily, but "remap" some synsets in
> order to make it compliant to some other resource. WordNet's structure
> is still there, but it is  "aligned" to something else (check the
> projects I have mentioned). The benefits of these remappings are quite
> well known and described, and have applications (cf. the FOS project I
> have mentioned above: without alignment, we couldn't use WordNet for
> that task).

The penny began to drop here ... I had not realised this complexity, and
begin to see the need for 'phase two' (in my terms). That looks hard.

> I hope to circulate a draft message before the next telecon.

We're making progress ...

Jeremy