Re: [VM,ALL] Revised VM Task Force description

Thank you, Jeremy.

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 04:04:09PM +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> A spelling error: stabile => stable

My dictionary shows both but I'm happy to change it.

> More substantively I am concerned that the description preempts the work
> of the TF and the review process by providing too many answers, or
> examples of answers.

As I wrote it I wondered whether I was crossing a line...

> This can be addressed in two ways:
>
> - my preference
>   Delete the long lists from points 1, 2, 3 and 4
>   Move them to a separate document, e.g. an e-mail, say the one this is
> replying to, and reference them by:
>   "Examples of the sort of things to be considered under 1, 2, 3 and 4
> can be found in:
>   http://.......
> The TF may work on these or other similar matters."

This is a good approach and would result in a shorter document,
which is perhaps more appropriate for a TF description.

> - alternatively minor wording changes to emphasis that the lng lists are
> informative examples to clarify the TF scope rather than a constraint on
> the sort of answers the TF may produce.
..
> I provide such rewording in-line below. (My rewording is perhaps
> excessively weasely)

This would also be fine with me -- your proposed wordings are
in fact very similar in tone to what I had written in the first
place (i.e., I intended the lists as rough examples to indicate
the scope I was picturing).  As always, though, I made a final
pass to "omit needless words" (Strunk and White 1938, p.1)...

>                                         (To indicate a substantive
> issue, I am not clear I agree with the proposed approach to namespace
> ownership, cf Patel-Schneider and Parsia's work on social meaning,
> presented as a poster at WWW2004)

Hmm, if you mean the notion of Namespace Owner, this is
something I find in the Proposed TAG Finding on Versioning
XML Languages [1], Section 7.2: "Only Namespace Owners Change
Namespace" (capitalized in the original).  I am new to W3C
process so would like to clarify the extent to which we need
to ensure that a SWBPD note is consistent with other W3C work
(such as TAG Findings).

In fact, if we could clarify that question, we could then
tighten up the current section on "Dependencies" (below), which
is really a growing bibliography more than a Dependency section
in the stricter sense.

Tom

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/versioning/

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                        Thomas.Baker@izb.fraunhofer.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven         mobile +49-160-9664-2129