From: Phil Tetlow [mailto:philip.tetlow@uk.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 2:56 AM
To: philip.tetlow@uk.ibm.com; pan@cs.man.ac.uk; Uschold, Michael F;
christopher.welty@us.ibm.com; adityak@wam.umd.edu; rector@cs.man.ac.uk;
ewallace@cme.nist.gov; dlm@ksl.stanford.edu; dwood@tucanatech.com; Grady
Booch; cliff.jones@newcastle.ac.uk
Subject: Welcome to The SWBP Task Force on Software Engineering

Jeff Pan and I are delighted to inform you that at yesterday's telecom
the
Semantic Web Best Practices Working Group agreed to the creation of a
Software Engineering Task Force, of which you have been listed as a
provisional member or invited expert. If you do not wish to participate
in
the work of this group, therefore, I would be grateful if you could let
me
know and I will remove you from the mailing list.

This is an exciting time and there is much work to do - I genuinely hope
that we can spearhead some real momentum and much needed fresh thought
in
the wider global software community here. As such I hope to have the
task
force's Terms of Reference posted in the next couple of days and also be
in
a position to create a public mailing list and wiki for this activity.
As a
first step may I suggest that we all start to think about new ideas for
the
SE list and, in particular begin a discussion on the topics of interest
already listed under the Terms of Reference? These are:

o     The potential for Ontology Driven Software Engineering, Ontology
Driven Architectures (ODA) and the crossover between Ontology
Engineering
and Software Engineering,
o     The use of composite identification schemes on the Semantic Web
and
their potential use for 'ontology joining' and the reduction of
ambiguity
across the Software Lifecycle,
o     The construction of dynamic self-organising applications using
Semantic Web technologies;
o     The use of Semantic Web Technologies to produce highly
adapted/adaptive (user) interfaces and support tools.

I have already seen a number of mails posted to the SWBP list, pointing
SemWeb SE related papers and articles. This is great and I would like to
actively encourage the collation and distribution of such material. So,
also propose maintaining a list of relevant and validated URLs and would
appreciate your thoughts on whether you agree and/or think we should
also
make such a list public.

Kind regards

Phil Tetlow